Dell Inspiron 8600

EMO-TOCROSS

I'm buying a laptop for christmas. No more desktop. I have a job now and need my computer with me constantly. I'm going to be working with photoshop cs and video editing ALOT. also, LOTS of web browsing and internet usage. I need a good wide screen at least, and a good video card so I can play games too (which im quite the gamer)...

http://www1.us.dell.com/content/products/productdetails.aspx/inspn_8600?c=us&cs=19&l=en&s=dhs&~ck=mn

I've chose the Dell Inspiron 8600. The price is 20% off :eek: . My MAX price limit for it is 1600$ plus shipping. I'm using the customize option, and so far this is one I thought I could get the best of it for 1600$ -

INtel Pentium M processer 1.60A GHz/400MHz FSB 15.4 WSXGA+
Microsoft Windows XP Professional
1GB DDR SDRAM 2 Dimms
128MB DDR ATI's MOBILITY RADEON 9600 PRO TURBO
40GB Hard Drive
Intergrated 10/100 Network Card and Modem
24X CD-RW/DVD combo drive with sonic Recordnow
Intel PRO/Wireless 2200 Internal Wireless 802.11 b/g, 54Mbps

If any of you wouldnt mind, Would you go to the link and custom the parts for this laptop and see the best configuration you can get for 1600$. I showed you mine, but I'd like to know if there's something I could use less of and something I could use more of. Also, I diddnt know between Pentium M Processor's or Celeron M Processors? I chose an Pentium M but is the other better? Thanks guys, you help alot -

Praetor

Administrator
Staff member
It wasnt neccesary to do a bump after a handful of hours....

I diddnt know between Pentium M Processor's or Celeron M Processors? I chose an Pentium M but is the other better?
The Pentium M is the better of the two

As for customization, my firewall toasted Dell.com buuuuuuuut:
- Ditch the widescreen if possible, its overrated and you want performance first, aesthetics second... might let you get a better proc
- I dunno what the other options are but screw the stupid software and and warranties and service (i dont think you can tho cuz its an OEM)
- Dont get WindowsXP Pro ... you wont get the CD anyways so its a waste of money :) (unless you know for a fact you will never need to reinstall)

EMO-TOCROSS

Well my desktop has a AMD Barton Core XP 2500+ and I dont think that's much faster then the Pentium M 1.6GHz processor. And the processor in my desktop never really bothered me. Also, okay so I understand alot of PCers have some hatred at dell, and I understand I do too, because they stole my idea :p . The wide screen is pretty nice and unbelievably litten. In my english class the other day I actually saw that my english teacher had it, and played with it for a second. The wide screen is a joy. I could open two full windows in one screen. Thats AWESOME :D . WHAT do you mean it does'nt come with windows xp professional disc, it would have to if you bought it that'd be way weak if they diddnt. Wouldnt it atleast come with formatting disc that has windows xp on them or something? you CANT forget it has a Radeon 9600PRO 128MB DDR Ram video card and 1gb of ram upgradeable to 2gb ram. All for 1,593$. Dont you think thats a serious bang for the buck praetor?

mkl

I'm thinking of buying a inspiron 8600 too, but I have a smaller budget (less than 1350). Personally, I would prefer more processing power and better hard drive (7200rpm) than more memory, because I can always add in more ram later (will that void warranty?). Also, does anyone know how the ati 9600 pro turbo (128mb) stack up against radeon 9700 (64mb)?
EMO-TOCROSS can you keep me posted in on how your 8600 is doing, if you get it before i do. thanx

Cromewell

Administrator
Staff member
WHAT do you mean it does'nt come with windows xp professional disc, it would have to if you bought it that'd be way weak if they diddnt. Wouldnt it atleast come with formatting disc that has windows xp on them or something?
It has a recovery disc with xp pro on it, but you are buying a copy of XP pro which should mean you get an actual windows cd not a dell OS recovery cd, which means you can't really install it on another system (you can but it becomes dellized, and no one wants that)...damn OEMS :mad:

Cromewell

Administrator
Staff member
Personally, I would prefer more processing power and better hard drive (7200rpm) than more memory, because I can always add in more ram later (will that void warranty?)
No that doesn't void the warranty unless theres a sticker that says warranty void if removed holding the case cover closed

EMO-TOCROSS

glad to see your buying one too mkl :) . I ordered mine about last week. I spent forever looking at notebooks, and nothing can match the Inspiron 8600 pricewise/partwise. Yeah the processor isn't that fast, but It's fine with me, As long as your computer isn't overheating and or sucking all the battery life because of the processor. Which I've heard the Inspiron 8600 Is great with battery life and staying cool. 1024mb of ram is splendid, speaking that there's only one notebook with that much memory on newegg.com . And compatible of 2gb? wow. And to your question, I know exactly which ones better between the Radeon 9600 TURBO PRO 128mb card and the Radeon 9700 64mb, The better card is the.... (this is where praetor pops in). :p

mkl

hey emo-tocross, where did u get ur inspiron 8600? if u live in canada, did u buy it in canada or the states?