Dell Inspiron Mini....help plz

vzfox

I just got my new Dell Inspiron Mini (1012) and there are a couple things I need to know how to do....

One, how can I set a picture (any picture) to my desktop background? It will give me the option to do so, but when I click "set as background" it doesnt do anything.

Two, how can I play a movie (watch a movie) from my usb flash drive? I can copy it to the flash drive or even shrink it to the flash drive from my home pc but my Dell wont give me the option to play the movie (Windows Media Player or RealPlayer). I can watch the movie just fine from my flash drive on my home pc.

Thank you :)

voyagerfan99

Master of Turning Things Off and Back On Again
Staff member
1: What OS are you running? If it's Windows 7 Starter, then you cannot change your background AFAIK.

2: Try installing VLC Media Player and watch the movie.

vzfox

it is Windows 7 Starter :( Can I upgrade the Starter to a better Windows 7 and have it do what I want and still operate correctly?

What is VLC Media Player and can you include the link here plz. Is it a free player?

thanx.

Del_Monico

It'll cost around $80 to upgrade from Windows 7 Starter to Windows 7 Home Premium. It won't affect you're netbook at all, though you may see it run slightly slower at times.

VLC Media Player is a media player that includes the codecs to play just about any format ever invented.

I cannot access the link to it from the computer I am on, now. But you can go to www.download.com and type in "VLC Media Player" in the search box at the top of the page. Or, to make it easier, you can search Google for "VLC Media Player".

vzfox

thank you for the link, I will re post here again after I download to let you know that it works good for me.

One more question, I also have yahoo messenger (as most do)....it works jus fine but dont show the pictures beside everyones name. Is that also due to having Windows 7 Starter?

voyagerfan99

Staff member
thank you for the link, I will re post here again after I download to let you know that it works good for me.

One more question, I also have yahoo messenger (as most do)....it works jus fine but dont show the pictures beside everyones name. Is that also due to having Windows 7 Starter?

I don't know. I don't use Yahoo Messenger.

vzfox

The VLC Player did work, thank you alot. I can now watch movies n such like I wanted. I may upgrade to Windows 7 Home Premium at a later date though, I wanted a mini but wasnt really prepared for how slow it would be in comparison to my Extensa 4420. 1g DDR2 RAM is my mini's max and the processor doesnt seem to match my Extensa either. Happy with the size, but thats about it.

Thank you for your help.

voyagerfan99

Staff member
The VLC Player did work, thank you alot. I can now watch movies n such like I wanted. I may upgrade to Windows 7 Home Premium at a later date though, I wanted a mini but wasnt really prepared for how slow it would be in comparison to my Extensa 4420. 1g DDR2 RAM is my mini's max and the processor doesnt seem to match my Extensa either. Happy with the size, but thats about it.

Thank you for your help.

Netbooks tend to be a little bit on the slow side.