Dell Keyboard Problem (possibly driver?) need much help

KaratonE

Hey again guys, well it looks like I'm going to reinstall windows, so how exactly do I go about that? Uninstallation and installation? And what files can and should I back up? I know I can't back up programs (sucks) but anything else to be aware of?

JlCollins005

Well as far as files if u have music or pictures, documents burn them to cds.. then with your xp installation disc.. put it in the drive reboot the computer, if the bios is not set to boot from ur disc drive set it to do so.. then u wanna get into the windows installation its all pretty self explanatory from there, but instead of reapairing windows hit esc, and delete the partition and reformat

KaratonE

Well as far as files if u have music or pictures, documents burn them to cds.. then with your xp installation disc.. put it in the drive reboot the computer, if the bios is not set to boot from ur disc drive set it to do so.. then u wanna get into the windows installation its all pretty self explanatory from there, but instead of reapairing windows hit esc, and delete the partition and reformat

How to i set the bios to boot from the drive or whatever?

JlCollins005

well when ur comp turns on it should say toward the bottom of the screen to hit del, esc, f12 f8 something along them lines to boot into bios, upon entering bios find the screen where it allows u to set the boot device priority and set ur cd drive to become priority 1

KaratonE

well when ur comp turns on it should say toward the bottom of the screen to hit del, esc, f12 f8 something along them lines to boot into bios, upon entering bios find the screen where it allows u to set the boot device priority and set ur cd drive to become priority 1

2 problems with that, 1. It doesn't do that, it just goes to a black screen with an underscore flashing, then boots to "dell" and "windows" with the bar going back and forth. 2. My keyboard doesn't work, so i can't press the button.

KaratonE

at the beginning of this thread i thought u said the keyboard works until windows loads then it fails to work

I guess I should've been clearer, what happens is, on startup, it goes to that screen you're talking about, with all info, but the keyboard is completely useless, it's not on or anything, then, it goes to the windows screen and works fine, then it goes to desktop where it's still broken.

KaratonE

Ok, well I've found out how to do it, and I go through the installation, but when i get to the installaition part it asks wat partition i want it in, there's only one available partition with the right space so i chose it, but than it said "there is already an OS on this partition, it is not reccomended to install 2 on one partition" so im guessing i need to uninstall windows before i reinstall it, how do i get windows XP off my comp so i can reinstall it?

JlCollins005

no u want to delete that partition and format it.. during installation when u get to the partition selection u should beable to hit delete i believe, ESC then L or something like that it will tell u.. u want to delete that partition though then format it do a full format also, then install windows

KaratonE

no u want to delete that partition and format it.. during installation when u get to the partition selection u should beable to hit delete i believe, ESC then L or something like that it will tell u.. u want to delete that partition though then format it do a full format also, then install windows

Oh, ok. Yes it did give me the option to delete it, so I'll go format everything and tell you how it went.

KaratonE

Ok, I got Windows reinstalled and my keyboard works perfectly now!!!!! Thanks!!! Only with reinstalling windows hundreds of thousands of new problems arise!!!!! Now my internet doesn't work, my mouse isn't functioning correctly because I don't have the installation disks anymore, and I can't verify windows in any way so after 30 days, my computer is more worthless than it already was!! FUN. ABSOLUTELY ****ING FUN.

JlCollins005

ok well u have a dell right and u used a the dell Os re-install disc that came with it correct.. and also if u have a dell u should have a drivers disc that has the drivers for everything.. and if u cant access internet at this 2nd as long as its the disc that came with ur dell and u used the SN that came with ur dell call the number and activate by phone.

KaratonE

ok well u have a dell right and u used a the dell Os re-install disc that came with it correct.. and also if u have a dell u should have a drivers disc that has the drivers for everything.. and if u cant access internet at this 2nd as long as its the disc that came with ur dell and u used the SN that came with ur dell call the number and activate by phone.

WEll I have none of that, the install disc was from an HP laptop, and idk bout the drivers disk