dell latitude cxi

voyagerfan99

Master of Turning Things Off and Back On Again
Staff member
I disassembled an HP Omnibook 6000 I just unscrewed what I thought needed to be unscrewed and gently pried pieces out.

What EXACTLY do you want to do to it?

BluesFan

Okay. I tried a different dell and couldn't get it open at all even with all the screws out. It's like it has some snapping clips or something.

Someone told me to remove the internal battery in order to try and reset it.

Does that make sense?

voyagerfan99

Staff member
They must be talking about resetting the CMOS battery. What are the symptoms you are experiencing?

Hint: Sometimes there is a plastic part that snaps up just below the screen and some screws are located there. I don't know where the CMOS battery is though.

BluesFan

It is an old laptop someone gave me and it has a password. They said that if I removed the battery for sometime that it would reset but I have my doubts. What else can I do?

voyagerfan99

Staff member
If you can find out what BIOS make/version is on it, they usually have a special password you can input to clear it.

Unless it's a windows password.

voyagerfan99

Staff member
Either:
A:Tell me what version of Windows it is (I'm guessing 98)
Or
B: Reinstall Windows

voyagerfan99

Staff member
Well I know pretty much jack about 2000. I'd just get a new hard drive or wipe the current one and get another OS.

I mean you just want the laptop right? You don't need anything thats on it? (Excluding maybe microsoft office)

azwebs

If it is a Windows 2000 machine that is asking for a username and password, just click the cancel button at the login screen and it boots in to the main administrator account. From there, you can go into the control panel, then users. Delete them all, so it automatically loads into Windows with no dialog box asking for usernames or passwords.

azwebs

Btw, that thing pulling the battery and putting it back in again is likely to format the entire bios, making the machine unusable, not just the setup/user password. Hope the above post works, unfortunately, I was stuck with Windows ME/2000 far too long...

voyagerfan99

Staff member
Well if you get a copy of windows XP, all you have to do is boot to the CD and during the install process it will format the drive.

I imagine the hard drive is extremely small though. I recommend getting a larger one. Any regular laptop ATA drive should work.