Dell latitude Laptop freezes on desktop screen while starting up

zed101

Hi my laptop keeps freezing at start up after everything is loaded on desktop screen just before it’s about to make the windows start sound. However this only happens if I select shut down or restart or put it on sleep mode from the windows start up. when I do hard reboot everything loads up and works fine this also apply when the battery dies or when I remove the battery.
I’m on windows 10.
Many thanks in advance.

Darren

Staff member
There's your problem. Try Win 7. You shouldn't put it to sleep.
Really? Change the OS because of a small and easy to fix issue?

OP, reset your power settings. Within Settings go to Power and Sleep. On the right it says additional power settings, go there and it should give you a power plan to pick from. Make sure it's on balanced and restore plan defaults.

Also, what model number (or service tag) is the laptop? Should be on the bottom or under the battery. I'd suspect a driver issue honestly, likely chipset. If you can get me the model or service tag I can point you towards the right drivers.

aldan

OP, reset your power settings. Within Settings go to Power and Sleep. On the right it says additional power settings, go there and it should give you a power plan to pick from. Make sure it's on balanced and restore plan defaults.

Also, what model number (or service tag) is the laptop? Should be on the bottom or under the battery. I'd suspect a driver issue honestly, likely chipset. If you can get me the model or service tag I can point you towards the right drivers.
There's your problem. Try Win 7. You shouldn't put it to sleep.
really???i may not be able to form a complete sentence,but obviously you have trouble with complete thoughts.

Last edited by a moderator:

johnb35

Administrator
Staff member
Can we just say that's there has been an issue with sleep mode ever since it came out? I try to tell everyone not to use sleepmode. Don't put down windows 10 just because you want to.

Darren

Staff member
This is usually an issue on machines that have some sort of fast resume from sleep built in, usually machines that came with 8 or 8.1 originally and have been since upgraded so stuff gets a little funky. Usually you can fix it with a manual clean install of drivers but it varies.

Don't think I've seen a machine that came with 10 exhibit this behavior.

zed101

Hi it was on default already (balanced)
Model is dell latitude e6230

zed101

This is usually an issue on machines that have some sort of fast resume from sleep built in, usually machines that came with 8 or 8.1 originally and have been since upgraded so stuff gets a little funky. Usually you can fix it with a manual clean install of drivers but it varies.

Don't think I've seen a machine that came with 10 exhibit this behavior.

Just to clear the air on sleep mode I only tried it too see if the problem accrues if it’s on sleep mode.

Darren

Staff member
Just to clear the air on sleep mode I only tried it too see if the problem accrues if it’s on sleep mode.

Flash the BIOS first. Links are direct downloads from Dell for Win10.

https://downloads.dell.com/FOLDER04323013M/1/E6230A18.exe

Then download and install these drivers, restart between each. If it asks you to overwrite a newer driver, do it anyway.

https://downloads.dell.com/FOLDER04...nents-Installer_C3VMM_WIN_11.0.6.1194_A02.EXE
https://downloads.dell.com/FOLDER03709265M/2/Chipset_Driver_GH5T3_WN32_10.1.1.18_A04_01.EXE
https://downloads.dell.com/FOLDER03404628M/1/Chipset_Driver_4HP0D_WN32_11.0.0.1163_A01.EXE

zed101

I did the first three and last one don’t install. Still got the same problem.