DELL monitors..

SFR

Truth fears no questions
Alright here is the scoop:

MY BOSS... asked me to help her find a computer. She DOES NOT want to build it herself.. and I AM NOTgoing to.. so her best bet is DELL.

She wants to spend under $800 total.. the computer is not the problem... ITS THE MONITOR.

She wants a flat screen and probably nothing under 17 inches.

I have had it up &$@# in configuring DELLs, trying to get them under 800 with the cheapest flat screen monitor...

My question is: DO any of you know of a monitor that she can buy separate from the dell computer that costs UNDER $200?

thanks,

SFR

SFR

Truth fears no questions
Yeah by bad..... no CRT... I know she wants LCD..

...and yeah.. I need the luck..

(What I dont get is she makes easily 120k (US currency) or more a year.. and she wants it to be $800)

LOL!

4W4K3

VIP Member
i have never seen an LCD 17"+ for under $200. I have seen them ~$250 when they were on sale...but not much else. Even if you did find one it would be CRAP...have really low resolution, limited refresh rate, probably blurry picture compared to a better quality one.

I'm interested as to how this is going to turn out:) She wont go for $1K?

SFR

Truth fears no questions
Well.. On Monday I will be telling her what I have found.

"Without monitor $800 will buy you a very nice computer but with monitor it will cost more than $800."

.... She just needs it for internet access and OFFICE.. Her husband plays games ... nothing like some of you.. but probably some decent graphic intensive ones.. so I thought about a little more than 256MB of RAM..and the ATI Radeon X300SE (which, while not to some of your calibre... it is better than intel one on the MOBO.)
Anyway.. I knew it wasnt going to be easy getting a cheap LCD monitor... but I thought I would give it a try.. I wont give up on my quest until Praetor tells me I have no chance..

lol

ak_hitman_47

Your best bet would probably be e-bay. My friend got a flat screen monitor (not lcd) about 2 years ago from a direct dealer off e-bay and saved about 300 bucks.

Praetor

Administrator
Staff member
LOL SFR you have a way with ur uber-spacing :p

My question is: DO any of you know of a monitor that she can buy separate from the dell computer that costs UNDER $200?
Yes. Most small computer stores have them. Nobody said anything about quality tho.

Yeah by bad..... no CRT... I know she wants LCD..
Doable still but youll be getting a POS (then again LCDs are expensive pieces of crap to start with)

and she wants it to be $800)
Yeah dumb peeps want everything dont they? :p

$800USD is EASILY doable with a GOOD system ... if you get a CRT ... curse the moron who decided it would be neat to make LCD monitors .... sigh. :p

I wont give up on my quest until Praetor tells me I have no chance..
Your screwed unless you build it urself. Why not? You can cheap out and pocket the change. :p Thats damn near the only way its (readily) doable really

Assuming 800USD --> 960CAD (dunno if its accurate but whatever)
Option 01 -- 950CAD
- BenQ FP567SB 15" LCD [290]
- Sempron 2800 [120]
- ASUS A7N8X-X [80]
- Crapola 512MB [100]
- Maxtor 40GB 2MB [60]
- Case and power [35]
- Keyboard, mouse [20]
- LiteOn 52x32x52x16 Combo [50]
- Any 9600XT/5700U [195]

Option 02 -- 935CAD
- Acer AL1714CB 17" LCD (you can pick damn near anything really for the price, this is random selection [340]
- Sempron 2800 [120]
- ASUS A7N8X-X [80]
- Crapola 512MB [100]
- Maxtor 40GB 2MB [60]
- Case and power [35]
- Keyboard, mouse [20]
- LiteOn 52x32x52x16 Combo [50]
- Sapphire 9600Pro 256 [130]

See? Doable. Naturally it becomes a balance between HDD vs Videocard.

SFR

Truth fears no questions
The problem is servicing the computer.

If I build her a computer and she F's it up.. lets say, 5 months from now (when I graduate and put my two weeks in and get the hell out of there).. and she has some problem with it.

There is no 1-800-DELL-HOTLINE-HA-HA-YOU=WILL-BE-SPENDING-FIVE-HOURS-ON-THE-PHONE-AND-THEN-TALK-TO-SOMEONE-WHO-CAN-NOT-SPEAK-ENGLISH 24/7 technical service.

So that means I would get a phone call from my old boss asking me to come fix the problem.. and since she is my main reference on my resume....

.... 1 + 1 = 1

So in conclusion,

Throughout my essay I have demonstrated beyond ANY reasonable doubt that doing favors for my boss is a mistake. Furthermore I have come to the realization that when working in an environment filled will minimum wage rejects, telling others about my over-powering ... ... computer knowledge is not a good idea.

From now on, at work I will be known as the compu-tard and will never again tell my boss that I will help her find a DELL or HP computer with 16GB of RAM and a FREAKING 60INCH LCD monitor for $800.

So, to wrap up my comprehensive analysis based on assumptions and well tested explanations of observed events :

I, SFR pledge allegiance to the compu-tard society and to the fools for which we stand, one nation under Praetor indivisible with upgrading-the-BIOS and OC’ing for all.

(Since church and state should remain separate… please omit “under Praetor”)

oh and sorry for all the spaces inbetween the lines... It's my computer and my keyboard and my mouse and my thumbdrive and My OS's fault.

Praetor

Administrator
Staff member
If I build her a computer and she F's it up.. lets say, 5 months from now (when I graduate and put my two weeks in and get the hell out of there).. and she has some problem with it.
Good hardware rarely fails even in the hands of a computard -- lock out the bios and stuff if you have to. Use a super aggressive firewall if you want to lock out soft-OCing and such. As for a software problem -- Norton Ghost :)

So that means I would get a phone call from my old boss asking me to come fix the problem.. and since she is my main reference on my resume....
Two weeks ago I would have agreeed with you. But now im thinking that constant contact -- especially trivial contact makes for a good business/professional relationship. You gotta use your judgement though.

telling others about my over-powering ... ... computer knowledge is not a good idea.
You have no idea how wrong you are (or could be) :D

From now on, at work I will be known as the compu-tard and will never again tell my boss that I will help her find a DELL or HP computer with 16GB of RAM and a FREAKING 60INCH LCD monitor for $800.
Since I despise OEMs, have a look around .... whats the cheapest box you can get? One problem at a time :)

(Since church and state should remain separate… please omit “under Praetor”)
LOL