dell optiplex gx1

prtonycl

I have a dell optiplex gx1 desktop computer and I need to find the MHZ SPEED
it's has company windows 95 installed in it an does not show up on start up
i need to know if it is fast enough so i can install windows xp .

it shows my hard drive & memory size in my system information. it's a pentium 2 or 3 please help if possible. thanks tony

spazz31585

i work at dell
the gx1 more then likely can not handle xp
it might be able to handle it, but not very well

also, just a bit of info. if it came with 95 and you upgrade to xp, if you ever call in to technical support they will not assist you with anything involving the software. it has to be original configuration(what originally shipped with the system)

if you go to support.dell.com, click on home & home office, then click on user guides, you should be able to find any specs you need to know

prtonycl

spazz31585,
I pick up this computer at work where they upgraded to new computers
it has windows 95, pentium 3 , 450 mhz , 192 mb of ram , 6 gb hard drive .
I want to upgrade to xp so i can use it in my garage so i can run small games for the kids, and use it to run my external hard drives to run my mp3 songs into my stereo
that's all. Will the computer handle it or do i need to find a faster one. any input would be big help. thanks again tony

Yeti

VIP Member
One of my parents' computers is a PII 450 with 384 MB RAM on it and I installed WinXP on it - its not the fastest thing in the world but it works okay for basic tasks like web surfing, email, and word processing.

wensk

While the computer may run WinXP you may find you have very little hard drive space left after installing. Check the recommended requirements of the games you want to install also. You're also going to need some software to play your MP3s

You may find its better to go buy a new $400 Dell them bother with this one. And as Yeti said its only good for basic functions.

I've got a 450mhz Micron with 256mb ram, and 13gig hard drive. I installed XP on it and it is working, slowly. I'm using it only as storage on my network.

spazz31585

you should definatly be able to run it then, but like i said it won't be very fast. plus, you may want to upgrade the size of the hdd
i have i think 1,600 songs and it takes up 11GB of hdd space

also, if you do decide to buy a dell, try to buy one through a business or something...better support...you actually get tech support in america, not india
hahaha