DELL OptiPlex GX260 Series Windows Vista??

Hello. I've got an DELL OptiPlex GX260 Series. It came with no OS and I installed to it Windows XP Home Edition SP2. Then, I checked the specifications needed to run Windows Vista Home Basic. Downloaded the ISO, installed by USB (Did not had CD to burn!). Last reboot. And, I knew that I needed drivers for video and audio and those other stuff. Go to dell.com and search: DELL OptiPlex GX260 Drivers. The drivers menu poped up. But there was no selection for Windows Vista! I was then forced to uninstall Windows Vista and install Windows XP.... Again! Where I can find those drivers or how can I run Windows XP drivers with Windows Vista?

Best Regards,​

LinuxTester​

voyagerfan99

Master of Turning Things Off and Back On Again
Staff member
The machine was not designed for Vista, so Dell won't have drivers for it. If you want to get drivers, you'll have to hunt and search for generic ones.

C4C

If you really need to run windows just use the Win10 Tech Preview. It runs more smoothly then Win7 on my old GX620.

Serves as a Minecraft server for 3 friends and I... I didn't need to install any drivers from Dell's website after installation.

voyagerfan99

Staff member
If you really need to run windows just use the Win10 Tech Preview. It runs more smoothly then Win7 on my old GX620.

Serves as a Minecraft server for 3 friends and I... I didn't need to install any drivers from Dell's website after installation.

You realize a 620 is much newer than a 260, right?

voyagerfan99

Staff member
And you also need to stop telling people to just "run the Win 10 tech preview". It's not a complete OS and it will have bugs, and old hardware isn't supported.

C4C

And you also need to stop telling people to just "run the Win 10 tech preview". It's not a complete OS and it will have bugs, and old hardware isn't supported.

I haven't run into any issues except for failing hardware. My point was it didn't seem that the OP had a key for Vista or XP, and therefore nothing is really lost trying another WinOS.

johnb35

Administrator
Staff member
I can most likely help you find drivers after its installed. I will just some info about device. Just let me know.

Hello guys. I have an update. Installed DELL Manufacturer drivers with telephone contact, worked like a charm for 5 startups and shutdowns (normal) and then.. BOOM... it doesn't want to startup! Replaced HDD and ethernet controller, which was malfunctioning.. XD and nothing happend! And I can't replace the GPU (I think) because its Intergrated Graphics (Intel 82845G). Also replaced the CPU AFTER installed Windows Vista Home Basic SP2. I don't know if this is causing the PC to crash, but the CPU is an new Intel Core Duo with 2.5 GHz. Please help! ( The factory CPU is Intel Pentium 4)

johnb35

Administrator
Staff member
OK something fishy is going on here. You can't put a socket 775 cpu in a socket 478 motherboard.

OK something fishy is going on here. You can't put a socket 775 cpu in a socket 478 motherboard.
I didn't know that... It was like.. working... OK then! I will install the old Intel Pentium 4 to the machine and see what happens!