Dell T40 No Power Help

Idle0095

I have a Dell T40. It has run nonstop from May 2021 till last night. It will not turn on. However if I press the BIST button on the back of the power supply the whole system will ramp up like it's turning on but if I release that BIST button it will shut off immediately.
I purchased a brand new power supply and and it will not power the computer on. What could be causing this? Or what happened that caused this?
Is there a simple repair? The warranty ran out with Dell so they cannot help.

johnb35

Administrator
Staff member
Is there an LED light that stays a steady green when you press the button?

Computer not turning on could be anything to loose power connector, bad motherboard to any other failed component. If it was bought brand new in May then it should still be under warranty since it hasn't even been a year. You can try resetting the cmos. Did you have a power outage or surge that might have caused damage to the system?

Idle0095

It was new but warranty was expiring. Reason I got it cheap.
Green Light stays on when pressed. All fans turn on and power buttpn led turns on. But when you release button it shuts off. New PSU will not work. I've tried twice.
We had lighting last night. Only thing. But it was in my rack with all other equipment. Nothing else died.

johnb35

Administrator
Staff member
Then it got hit by lightning and its shot. Bet anything something with the motherboard.