Votes: 7 36.8%
  • I don't know

Votes: 1 5.3%
  • I don't care

Votes: 2 10.5%

• Total voters

wolfeking

banned
This whole laptop is a IT dream. everything is easy to get to, and for the most part no surprises.

Next project: bluetooth adapter.

voyagerfan99

Master of Turning Things Off and Back On Again
Staff member
Much better than those NC and NX series HP puts out. You have to rip those whole things apart just to replace a wireless card.

Troncoso

VIP Member
I bought a Dell laptop (Studio 17) and I'm satisfied with it overall, it's even got two hard drive bays (I was like yay when I found out) but for some reason Dell uses some kind of special, proprietary SATA adapter so I can't actually throw in an extra drive (I was like SCREW YOU when I found out), which is a real shame because I really wanted to have 2 HDDs so I could have both Windows and Linux not interfering with each other. I don't care about that so much any more but right now I want to get a small SSD for cheap but obviously I'd need a HD for storage to go with it... but I can't.

Hmmm. That's strange. Both the cage and the adapter are there for the second hard drive bay.

BOB$$$

PC system failures

I have had Systemmax's, Dell's & Acers with time-bomb-like failures that take effect after 3 years or so if you fail to subscribe to their maintenance service.

The Systemax had a corrupt sound service routine, the Acer Extensa had a corrupt wireless routine, and the Dell Inspiron has a corrupt BIOS that won't allow a Dos Boot.

The Dell gave out a message that the hard drive had failed but it works fine on my network in an EZ-Dock.

Does this sound familiar to anyone ?:(

spynoodle

I'm personally of the opinion that as far as cheap computers go, Dell is one of the better brands. I have a Dell Latitude D410, which is about 6 years old. I had to replace the hard drive last year, but in terms of build quality, it's still a nice laptop. I wouldn't say that Dell is one of the best brands, but I wouldn't say that they're one of the worst either.

voyagerfan99

Staff member
I'm personally of the opinion that as far as cheap computers go, Dell is one of the better brands. I have a Dell Latitude D410, which is about 6 years old. I had to replace the hard drive last year, but in terms of build quality, it's still a nice laptop. I wouldn't say that Dell is one of the best brands, but I wouldn't say that they're one of the worst either.

Commercial grades are. I accidentally dropped a refurb D531 off the shelf (it slipped off) and it fell a good 5ft smack onto the floor. Not a single ding on it.

spynoodle

Commercial grades are. I accidentally dropped a refurb D531 off the shelf (it slipped off) and it fell a good 5ft smack onto the floor. Not a single ding on it.
That's one thing that I've always felt safe about with my D410. Seeing that "strikezone" thing thing under the hard drive makes me feel a little less worried about my slippery fingers. :)

voyagerfan99

Staff member
my D630 has that. What does it do?

From the Dell site:
With Dell's Strike Zone hard drive protection system, your data can be safe from the bumps and bangs that come from the rigors of travel. The Strike Zone shock absorber helps prevent damage to your hard drive and your essential business data, so you can hit the road with confidence.

strollin

At home we have 2 yr old and 5 yr old Dell Dimension desktops that have never given us any problem. We also have 4 yr old and 3 yr old Inspiron laptops that have likewise never had any problems. At work, I have a 1 yr old Dell Latitude laptop that is also trouble free. Can't say I have any complaints with the Dell products I've used.