Dells on Ebay?

gldan

How are some companys and private sellers, selling "NEW IN BOX" dell laptops cheaper than the dell website? are they resellers or just buying refurb and marking them as new? anyone who has bought one or has seen this

thanks

-dan

P11

VIP Member
gldan said:
How are some companys and private sellers, selling "NEW IN BOX" dell laptops cheaper than the dell website? are they resellers or just buying refurb and marking them as new? anyone who has bought one or has seen this

thanks

-dan
I wouldnt suggest purchasing high-valued items on ebay....stick to things under 200-300 bucks, just incase you get scammed.

jp198780

yeah, if you think the price is just way 2 high 4 the item, it's probrably most likely a scam, also, you have 2 look at the sellers feedback, that's most important, soo you dont get ripped off.

gldan

i check the feedback on the sellers and the people seem to be happy with their purcahses., they have feedback scores anywhere from 500 to 2000 with 99.2% to 100% i wanted to know if anyone knows how there doing this selling high end laptops like the dell 6400 centrino duo core $600 - 1000$ less than the quotes from dell.ca and dell.com

ANNR

Are they on buy it now? or still on listing? If it is still on listing than the price will go up more. Look at their shipping rate too.

Geoff

VIP Member
They are most likely resellers. And I dont have anything against buying expensive items on ebay, just make sure that they have good feedback, and you carefully read their terms.

Besides being resellers, some may just get really good discounts and then they sell them for mre then they paid.

drumking1088

Just make sure you do the following things before committing yourself:

1) Check that the product is really new-email the seller(s), if you have to.
2) Check that the person(s) selling have a good feedback
3) Check that the product cannot be bought cheaper elsewhere.

jp198780

also, before you bid, read the description, say they dont list the battery, be sure 2 messagre em, and ask em if the battery comes with it.

Primex

Wow, that seems kinda expensive for an EBay auction computer. With all the online discounts, I got my Inspiron 9300 back in January for about the same price and it had a better Video card. Of course it only had 1G RAM and 80G hard drive. The only reason I say this is because I thought I was gonna end up paying like $2500 for my notebook, but it came down to about $1600 with everything like $500 mark down for ordering online and $400 taken off for ordering during their special. I would probably just buy from Dell itself, but I'm more paranoid about buying from Ebay unless it's just some sort of accessory.

csi1189

Couple of things for anyone interesting in buying high-valued items off ebay:

1. if the price seems to good to be true, it most likely is - don't trust anyone who is offering the product at extremely low prices - i mean like a "new" laptop for less than $500 when it's otherwise well over $1000.

2. check the feedback rating and score - go for people well over 50 and a rating of at least 98%

3. if the duration of the auction is only a day or two, and there's a very low price - then the item is probably stolen - be careful of this.

4. don't fall for the money wire traps - only accept paypal - it's the most secure way to go.

and most importantly, read ALL the fine print. and talk to the seller to get a better feel for the genuinity of the auction. I bought my new computer off ebay refurbished after about 1 month's use for about $750 saving about $500 off the price of a brand new one from sony directly. I happen to like ebay a lot, but you must be careful to not fall into any of its traps.