Deneb Black Edition or Thuben Black Edition?

LeoSnow900

Hey guy. I have been looking at the AMD processors for my new build and I can't choose between the Deneb x4 3.7 GHz CPU or the Thuben x6 3.3GHz (standard clocking), 3.7GHz (Turbo) CPU. I have no idea what would be better. They both have 3.7GHz capability, and are great CPUs. I need help please! :confused:

Side by side comparison:
http://www.newegg.com/Product/Productcompare.aspx?Submit=ENE&N=100007671%2050001028&IsNodeId=1&bop=And&CompareItemList=343%7C19-103-913%5E19-103-913-TS%2C19-103-934%5E19-103-934-TS

jonnyp11

what do you plan to do with this, if gaming is the main purpose only fsx will benefit from the 2 cores, no other game knows how to use more than 4 as far as i know, so take the savings and upgrade the gfx card.

LeoSnow900

what do you plan to do with this, if gaming is the main purpose only fsx will benefit from the 2 cores, no other game knows how to use more than 4 as far as i know, so take the savings and upgrade the gfx card.

Its for everything. Intense video editing. 3D modeling. Photoshop. Adobe Afteraffects. Sony Vegas Pro 10. Intense gaming. And multitasking. The video card is going to be a ATI Radeon HD 6970. The model who's clock is 900 MHz instead of the 880MHz one.

2048Megabytes

Socket AM3+ processors will be released September 20th. Wait until then before purchasing. Likely a Socket AM3+ six-core processor is going to be about 30 percent more powerful than the top of the line Thuban processor.

Pr0

Socket AM3+ processors will be released September 20th. Wait until then before purchasing. Likely a Socket AM3+ six-core processor is going to be about 30 percent more powerful than the top of the line Thuban processor.

I cant wait to upgrade cpu mobo and ram to AM3+

jonnyp11

never heard bout it being the 20th, but yeah, they should be much more powerfull, but since you have to wait i'd save little more/lot more and aim for the 8 core 8150p for around 320, and if it isn't worth it you can get the 6 core and put that money towards say a gtx 570

LeoSnow900

never heard bout it being the 20th, but yeah, they should be much more powerfull, but since you have to wait i'd save little more/lot more and aim for the 8 core 8150p for around 320, and if it isn't worth it you can get the 6 core and put that money towards say a gtx 570

The thing is with new cores, they don't have as much power or lag in other places that the already existing CPUs excel in. I'm just gonna wait and see what AMD puts out this month.

This is the graphics card I am going to get:
http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16814150531

ChrisUlrich

Do you have to go AMD?

Try looking into the i7 2600k for that sort of thing. I heard that CPU is amazing for those apps because of its hyperthreading.

LeoSnow900

Do you have to go AMD?

Try looking into the i7 2600k for that sort of thing. I heard that CPU is amazing for those apps because of its hyperthreading.

I am going AMD because I've been using Intel for a long time on stock computers, and in my opinion Intel is so god damn over rated its sad. I've had an AMD stock processor in the computer I use now and it delivers great performance on everything, and I use a x4 on my friends comp that I custom built for him on Newegg, and he down right loves the thing.

jonnyp11

intel is faster at everything other than like coding and stuff where the extra cores come in, but then the i7's are faster at that by a good bit, but both processors are so fast that they are being bottlenecked by the rest of the system, mainly the hdd, so that's the main spot where you lose speed, but overall the i's and c2d/q's are much faster than any amd cpu

mihir

VIP Member
Its for everything. Intense video editing. 3D modeling. Photoshop. Adobe Afteraffects. Sony Vegas Pro 10. Intense gaming. And multitasking. The video card is going to be a ATI Radeon HD 6970. The model who's clock is 900 MHz instead of the 880MHz one.

For stuff like that I would go with the hexcore 1090t :D

I am posting a few benchmarks relevant to what you will be using the computer for. Intel Core i7 2600k - $314 AMD Phenom II x6 1090t - $169
You can check them out and make your decision.
The Core i7 2600k will be faster but remember if you have/get an AM3+ board you can upgrade to Zambezi

chart11.jpg

chart18.jpg

http://www.guru3d.com/article/core-i5-2500k-and-core-i7-2600k-review/15

jonnyp11

since i'm sure you'll ask, don't even bother looking up the 980 or 990X's, they both cost 1000 for just the cpu, and if you'd like that performance it's better to wait another few months untill sbe comes out, the 2500k and 2600k are sand bridge, or sb, and the sb-e will be a 6 core version of them like the 98/90X's, so it will be a good bit faster than them and should be priced about the same

and the 1090 over the 1100 because you can easily overclock it to the 100t on the stock cooler with no problem, i think, and mihir can confirm or deny, that they are the same chip, just the 90 is clocked a little lower since that's easier and cheaper than designing a completely new die model or something to make a slightly slower chip. But it over the 1055 because the 1055 has a locked multiplier which is what you'd use to get the slight overclock, making it un-overclockable other than the fsb which is much less effective and can't get near the speeds of the others.

Last edited:

jonnyp11

I would go with the 1090 or 970, its cheaper then the 1100 or 980 and overclocks about the same.

970 or 870, since the 970 is like 570 and the 870 is like 290, and either way you're getting a chip that is on a dead socket so upgrades are limited to a b.s. price. and for he price the 1090t is a better value and has the ability to upgrade to a 8150P FX chip which should be about as powerful although it won't have near as many threads, it should be able to work faster since it's got the 8 "cores" v intels 6 cores and 12 threads, but that is a good q, which will be faster

Last edited:

StrangleHold

Staff member
970 or 870, since the 970 is like 570 and the 870 is like 290, and either way you're getting a chip that is on a dead socket so upgrades are limited to a b.s. price. and for he price the 1090t is a better value and has the ability to upgrade to a 8150P FX chip which should be about as powerful although it won't have near as many threads, it should be able to work faster since it's got the 8 "cores" v intels 6 cores and 12 threads, but that is a good q, which will be faster

What the hell are you talking about. A Phenom II 970 or Phenom II 1090. He was looking at a Phenom II 980 or 1100. Get with it or dont anwser. Dont YOU explain anything to me!

Last edited:

jonnyp11

thought you hit 9 instead of 8 for the 870 up there, or something like that, being the i7's, no need to spaz out and scream and just be an a$$ in general.

mihir

VIP Member
What the hell are you talking about. A Phenom II 970 or Phenom II 1090. He was looking at a Phenom II 980 or 1100. Get with it or dont anwser. Dont YOU explain anything to me!

HAAHAHA :gun:

Sigged.

Even I was like WTH is he talking about.

StrangleHold

Staff member
thought you hit 9 instead of 8 for the 870 up there, or something like that, being the i7's, no need to spaz out and scream and just be an a$$ in general.

It bugs me when people talk out there A?? When they have used nothing they are talking about and just spout crap from what they have heard and (nothing) on experience.

Last edited:

jonnyp11

yes, because it is impossible for a mistake like mistaking what i thought you meant after you put "I would go with the 1090 or 970, its cheaper then the 1100 or 980" which i mistook as saying the 1090 over the 1100 as it will overclock and then something having to do with the i7-970 or if that was a typo the i7 870 on that list, which would actually be alot cheaper than the i7-980 or especially the 980X.

I know I jumped to a conclusion which i hate it when people do that too, and for the part about explaining that was meant for the OP and anyone else who reads over this stuff so they know what we are talking about, and even then it still doesn't justify your reaction.

Last edited: