Denial-of-service attack

johnb35

Administrator
Staff member
I also just saw your speedtest results in another thread. What internet speed are you supposed to be getting? You may have to reset your modem/router to bring back your internet speed. If that don't work, you may have to call your provider.

anongo

yeh ive reset and contacted provider and theya re no help i should be getting like 8mb download speed, also i have never had above 500kbps. bt and sky are just crap!!

anongo

so what dose denial of service actually mean and where do i find this problem so i can sort it out. SO I AM UNDER A DENIAL OF SERVICE ATTACK THEN!!!:eek: can you select the line of text that highlights that problem?
I HAVE DONE CCLEANER AND I STILL SEEM TO BE GETTING DENIAL OF SERVICE ANY IDEAS?? Is this something a hacker applies to my pc and if so what dose this mean??
I am absolutely positive someone or something (software) is screwing with my pc!!

Last edited:

Mr Green

DDoS/DoS uses ICMP packets to flood your system.
Use ICMP filtering on a firewall to block out DDoS/DoS attacks.

Mr Green

so what dose denial of service actually mean and where do i find this problem so i can sort it out. SO I AM UNDER A DENIAL OF SERVICE ATTACK THEN!!!:eek: can you select the line of text that highlights that problem?
I HAVE DONE CCLEANER AND I STILL SEEM TO BE GETTING DENIAL OF SERVICE ANY IDEAS?? Is this something a hacker applies to my pc and if so what dose this mean??
I am absolutely positive someone or something (software) is screwing with my pc!!

Denial of service attacks are simple flood attacks used by frustrated script kiddies (wannabe hackers) to give themselves some false confidence in their non-existent skills.

Distributed denial of service attacks make use of multiple nodes via FTP to send many more flood packets 'simultaneously'.

anongo

what free software actually competes with denial of service attacks?
how do i get these attacks are they watching me and following me about or is it just something i get of a website? should i report this to the police?

tlarkin

VIP Member
I seriously doubt you are getting attacked. Your IP is dynamic most likely and will change from time to time. If you are that concerned just call up your ISP and have them give you a new IP.

anongo

ok so i just found two connections on my firewall that were suspicious and they were being granted full access to everything over the network, i have deleted them and i am still getting slow connection but why were they there if i dont even need them?

Could someone tell me where on the log file the denial of service attack is coming from please?

Last edited:

Dropkickmurphys

It is highly likely that if you were indeed the victim of a DoS attack you wouldn't be able to use the internet at all.

What sort of speeds are you getting for your internet? and as said before, you can always contact your ISP and get a new IP. I believe that Sky (which I assume you are on as you mentioned them) use dynamic IP's.

anongo

my download speed rarely goes above 300kbps if you want the results go to the internet speed thred. I am subscribed to t least 8mbps though. I just thought they say 8mbps but actually it is ment to run alot slower i have never had great speeds on any connection before and it always pisses me off!!

Dropkickmurphys

my download speed rarely goes above 300kbps if you want the results go to the internet speed thred. I am subscribed to t least 8mbps though. I just thought they say 8mbps but actually it is ment to run alot slower i have never had great speeds on any connection before and it always pisses me off!!

That would explain your slow speeds. It might not be Sky that is your problem, because Sky use BT's lines (which are traditional copper phone lines), your speed will drop the further you are from the exchange.

Try restarting your router and/or contacting Sky and see what they can do to help. I am on sky at home and I have had to deal with them a couple of times, we get about 6.5mb on an 8mb line.

anongo

I also just saw your speedtest results in another thread. What internet speed are you supposed to be getting? You may have to reset your modem/router to bring back your internet speed. If that don't work, you may have to call your provider.

were has the wise john35b gone???:confused:

johnb35

Administrator
Staff member
were has the wise john35b gone???:confused:

You rang??? Everyone has given their thoughts on your issue. You may have to end up calling your provider and asking them whats up. Have them do a line test or something. If you have a router in the mix, unhook it and connect straight to the modem and see if speed changes. Try a different modem.

anongo

isnt a broadband router the modem also you cant just connect straight to the phone line with broadband can you?

johnb35

Administrator
Staff member
You can get modem/router combo units where its only one device instead of having a dedicated modem and then a dedicated router. How many computers do you have connected to your service?

Did you ever run that ccleaner program?

anongo

yeh i run cc but it dosnt seem to do much for me in terms of speed increase, it cleans alot though. As for the modem router i think are one is all in one.

While you are here do you know how i can roll back a asus bios update it has given me a cd key virus and wont let me put my genuine cd key in the M activation screen. I have wiped entire drive and reinstalled windows and the virus thingy or bios virus is still there. any ideas?

Last edited:

Aastii

VIP Member
yeh i run cc but it dosnt seem to do much for me in terms of speed increase, it cleans alot though. As for the modem router i think are one is all in one.

While you are here do you know how i can roll back a asus bios update it has given me a cd key virus and wont let me put my genuine cd key in the M activation screen. I have wiped entire drive and reinstalled windows and the virus thingy or bios virus is still there. any ideas?

go to the asus motherboard page and go to downloads. Download an earlier version than the one that you got (assuming it is the latest that you updated to) and just flash it again