Denied access to my own hard drive!!

Status
Not open for further replies.

mholla79

I have a 120G Maxtor hardrive from my desktop I am trying to get some files off of. My motherboard took a crap so I can't boot my computer and a new one just isn't in my budget right now. Currently I am trying to use a USB to IDE adapter (not sure if thats the proper name) to get the files off but where they are located "Access is denied!!" Any suggestions on how I can get the files off because I really need them or am I screwed because I write protected everything screwing myself?? Thanks!!

PC eye

banned
The only thing you can try there would be either using the external usb type drive cage or slaving the drive inside another case to see files copied over to temp folders there. Then you can burn them to data disks depending the amount and size of the files.

For problems like the one you are describing the only tool that seems to work well for copying even removing files is the TakeOwnership tool that adds an option in the right click menu. Running XP and Vista on two separate drives that comes up often where the tool proves itself. http://www.howtogeek.com/howto/wind...ership-to-explorer-right-click-menu-in-vista/ That works on XP as well as it does on Vista.

mholla79

Thanks for the advice. The operating systems on my laptop and the hard drive I am trying to get access to are both XP although one is pro and the other is home edition. Not sure if that makes a difference. I will try that Take Ownership option you spoke of. Hopefully it does the trick. Thanks again!

PC eye

banned
I triple boot Home, Pro, and Vista when that first came out on the last build here. When going to copy or remove a file on one of the XP drives since I had a 4th for storage I ran into some of the access denied errors a bit until coming across the TakeOwership mod there. It's effective for a number of problems that can come up.

PC eye

banned
Safe mode in one version won't make any difference while right clicking and unchecking the read only box might work as well as the mod seen there. With that however you can simply right click on any non essential system file in order to copy, delete, move it.

SirKenin

banned
lmao... That guy is funny.. useless with computers, but funny. The only disturbing thing is his claims that he actually charges people for his worthless "tech knowledge".

The reason it's denying you access is not because you need some piece of hardware. It's because you need to take ownership of the folder.

In XP Pro, right click on the folder, select properties, go the security tab and click the advanced button. From there click on the Owner tab and pick your name from the list. Select the checkbox at the bottom to replace owners on subcontainers and objects, then click apply. When it's finished, close the dialogue boxes and access your folder again. If it denies you write access, set the permissions to give your current account full control (you'll see the check boxes in the security tab. Just highlight your name and view the permissions). Then click the Advanced button, select the check box at the bottom to apply to all subfolders and objects and click apply. When you're finished, close the dialogue boxes and you're set.

In XP Home, you have to boot into Safe Mode and log on to an Administrator account. You right click on the folder, select properties.. The middle tab is Security. Follow the same procedure as XP Home.

And do yourself a favor and ignore any "advice" PCeye ever gives. Nine times out of ten you'll be doing yourself a favor.. And for that one time he gets it right, is it really worth the aggravation?

Last edited:

PC eye

banned
The reason it's denying you access is not because you need some piece of hardware. It's because you need to take ownership of the folder.

Hardware? If you actually bithered to look before rambling on as usual :rolleyes: you would see for yourself that the TakeOwnership mod is not hardware but a more universal tool for seeing adminstrative access applied to any file or folder.

mep916

Administrator
Staff member
lmao... That guy is funny.. useless with computers, but funny. The only disturbing thing is his claims that he actually charges people for his worthless "tech knowledge".

And do yourself a favor and ignore any "advice" PCeye ever gives. Nine times out of ten you'll be doing yourself a favor.. And for that one time he gets it right, is it really worth the aggravation?

WTF? Haven't you made your point? Post after post you follow PC Eye around attempting to insult, discredit and otherwise make him look bad. Do you think you're helping people by harassing a good member of CF? What, exactly, are your intentions? Okay, BTW, please spare us the details about your clients, experience, business, etc. Don't elaborate on how you know more than him, blah blah blah. Trust me, we've all read it. Dude, you're, like, one of 10,000,000 people that do this shit for a living. Congratulations! You're an IT guy! Wow! You make money in this business! I'm f*cking impressed. Really. :rolleyes:

You do know your stuff, no doubt. However, your occasional advice and helpful recommendations, IMO, are underwhelmed by the fact that you don't treat people respectfully. You need to start acting right, brotha. If you participate here to feed some type of superiority (perhaps inferiority) complex, then, you're obviously just as insecure as that pothead you so eloquently attempted to headshrink in this post.

Anyway, I think that you should continue to block PC Eye. If he offers some advice you disagree with, or, you think he's wrong, politely offer an alternative solution to the OP. Don't call PC Eye out. He's helped myself and many other people here at CF. That's indisputable. Is he always right? No. Are you? You probably think you are, but I doubt it. ;)

TFT

VIP Member
100% agreement ^
PC eye like many others including myself does not get it right all the time but he's damn more knowledgeable than me and does'nt deserve the flaming he gets. He contributes well on this Forum and I read his replies with interest unlike yours. Post your answer only and leave it at that

SirKenin

banned
mep;

You had my interest there for a minute. I was reading your post, thinking "not bad".. until you started generalizing and you lost me. I do treat people with respect, I have and continue to do so.

I do appreciate the fact that you like PCeye. That's fair. I also do block his posts, although occasionally I get curious. And yes, about 1 in every 10 or so posts he writes he does get it right.

Although it's not my job to "call him out" so to speak, sometimes (like at 1:30AM last night) it's very difficult to resist. I had 4 computers on the go, all rush jobs.. The on AMD machine was a nightmare. I come onto the board for a bit of an escape while my tools are running on the machines.. and read more drivel. lol :D He's not helping people, he's hindering the progress of this board in a huge way. People come here for help, not to get led astray, get frustrated and leave.. I get frustrated even, and I've been doing this for a long, long time (or so it seems).

Maybe it would be better for him to ask questions rather than give answers. That would hold true for numerous people, though. However, in a sense you're right. Perhaps I shouldn't call him out. I have, in hopes that he will get the message and post less, with a focus on providing the right solutions...and that more people will learn to challenge him to provide help, rather than hinder the learning process, but apart from Stranglehold, one of the smartest people here (along with tlarkin) that's not happening and likely never will.

It's a shame that people embrace the rubbish rather than challenge it. However, I would suppose that's not really my problem. I guess I shouldn't get frustrated with it. In that respect I agree with you.

You probably don't care, but just in case you're interested, the underlying reason is one that's actually unrelated to this board. In my job, I run across people that have been charged by people like him, that have been led astray, that are frustrated at being "ripped off" and I come in to clean up the mess. People that claim to be knowledgeable or expert in the field, preying on the vulnerable. Because I have such passion for the industry, it angers and frustrates me that people have been treated that way. It's upsetting that people have trusted people like that and have had to suffer the numerous consequences for doing so.

In this case, people don't actually pay for the advice, but they do pay when PCeye feeds the typical line of garbage, believe him, run out and buy this or that, only to find out that he's led them down the garden path. Hopefully you can appreciate how one might take that personally.. The costs associated by errant ways such as that can be quite high... Maybe if he started paying for his "advice" he (and others) might approach things a little differently. But then again, maybe not. :)

As for why I'm here on this board, I don't mind sharing that too. I'm here, not for your sake, but for mine. The reason is simple. I learn a lot. You might read that and go "huh?" but it's true. Even from PCeye I learn a lot. Maybe not what he's hoping I'll learn, but I do.

1) I learn how the vulnerable, people that may not be "computer geeks" get hosed by people like him and run into problems. It helps me understand better and be more empathetic.

2) Kids can come up with the strangest problems. Like, totally off the wall stuff. Most of the people here are youngsters. They come up with scenarios and issues that I couldn't dream up even if I tried. I like that. When they come up with something that baffles my brains, rather than trying to pretend I have the solution, I research it. It's not even for them that I do it. It's for me. I do it because you can guarantee that at some point during my work week, I'm going to run into the problem in the field. I'll see it and go "oh yeah, I just ran into that and the solution is such and such..."

Believe it or not, reading the whackiness on this board actually helps me in my job. It gives me scenarios to research to help me do my job that much better. :)

Last edited:

SirKenin

banned
I just thought of something else as I sit here waiting for clients to pick up their machines. It won't happen with me, but while you embrace the likes of PCeye, people are getting frustrated in the background. I won't mention names, but there are some brilliant people on here, people that KNOW their stuff, people that are experts in this field, people that are a huge asset to this board, that are getting frustrated and irritated with PCeye's stupidity and the people that embrace it and follow suit.

It's not my board, I'm not going to take it personally one way or the other. However, the last thing I would think people would want to see happen is to alienate those users, who again shall remain nameless. Yes, every now and again PCeye might happen to actually help someone, but there are people here whose knowledge trumps his repeatedly. THEY are the asset to your community, not PCeye and people like him. He's not the only one, there are others here that are posing as experts when in reality they have no clue.

The problem is, if you turn those people off by buttering up the stupidity, rather than challenging it, they will eventually get tired of it and leave. That's inevitable. Then, all you'll have left is people leading people astray, giving wrong advice, with their little following leaving the average visitor thinking the users of the board have no clue what they're talking about.

That doesn't hurt you. That doesn't hurt PCeye. It *does* hurt the reputation of this board and it's credibility. Pretty much daily I'm researching problems. Infections, hardware glitches, etc. I take on between 5 and 10 projects a day on an average day. I can't tell you the number of boards I've been to in my searches where this has been a problem. You read the responses and you can tell the posters are absolutely clueless. I don't go back there, even if they show up first in my searches.

I find sites that use tricks to fool the search engines. You get there, and rather than answers they're trying to con you into buying things. Again, I never go back. Sites that use tricky wording and when you get there you find out they don't have the answer, but they certainly have lots of links and ads.

Maybe I'm just old, but I've grown tired of tricks, BS and nonsense. I would be a fool to think I'm the only one. If you guys care about your "home away from home", you might spend a bit more time challenging the likes of posters like that to either get on the ball or fade into the woodwork a bit, and rather spend more time seeking out and encouraging those posters that clearly know what they're doing, rather than convincing you that their age, "tool and die" and trade school colllege knowledge from 10 years ago lends them credibility.

Just a thought, take it or leave it.

mep916

Administrator
Staff member
You had my interest there for a minute. I was reading your post, thinking "not bad".. until you started generalizing and you lost me.

Sorry about that. I had been up doing homework all night and I was pretty tired at that point.

I do treat people with respect, I have and continue to do so.

That's your opinion and I disagree.

I do appreciate the fact that you like PCeye. That's fair. I also do block his posts, although occasionally I get curious. And yes, about 1 in every 10 or so posts he writes he does get it right.

He does better than 10% and, again, that's your opinion and I disagree.

People come here for help, not to get led astray, get frustrated and leave

Can you prove that people have left due to advice given from PC Eye?

It's a shame that people embrace the rubbish rather than challenge it.

If anyone provides bad advice, it should be challenged and corrected. You speak as if 90% of what he has to say is bullshit. That's not true, IMO.

In this case, people don't actually pay for the advice, but they do pay when PCeye feeds the typical line of garbage, believe him, run out and buy this or that, only to find out that he's led them down the garden path. Hopefully you can appreciate how one might take that personally.. The costs associated by errant ways such as that can be quite high... Maybe if he started paying for his "advice" he (and others) might approach things a little differently. But then again, maybe not. :)

I understand your point, but, as far as I know, PC Eye hasn't led anyone to spend any money unecessarily. He's received a lot of what I'll call positive feedback in the threads he's contributed to. No, he's not always right.

I just thought of something else as I sit here waiting for clients to pick up their machines. It won't happen with me, but while you embrace the likes of PCeye, people are getting frustrated in the background. I won't mention names, but there are some brilliant people on here, people that KNOW their stuff, people that are experts in this field, people that are a huge asset to this board, that are getting frustrated and irritated with PCeye's stupidity and the people that embrace it and follow suit.

So, in your eyes, we should all follow YOUR lead and continue bullying and harassing him? Personally, I don't like bullies and I used to beat the shit out of 'em back in high school. :D Maybe that's why I'm so fired up about this subject. I've always found myself defending people that are treated unfairly, even when it's none of my business. My wife says I have a bleeding heart. :eek:

If you guys care about your "home away from home", you might spend a bit more time challenging

I do so and will continue to do so. If PC Eye, or anyone else, for that matter, is posting something that I know to be incorrect, I'll do my best to clear things up.

Stranglehold doesn't appear to like PC Eye, yet, he doesn't resort to mean-sprited comments when replying to his posts. Tlarkin (someone a have the utmost respect for) often debates with people in a very thoughtful, respectful manner. He doesn't accuse them of stupidity, call them morons, or otherwise attempt to make them look bad or feel like an idiot - he proves his point and moves on.

With that said, if the administrators and moderators of this website believe that bullying and harassing people is appropriate and fair use of the forums, then, so be it. That, IMO, is what SirKenin is doing (with respect to PC Eye, anyway).

I'd like to apologize to the OP for hijacking this thread. :eek:

StrangleHold

Staff member
Stranglehold doesn't appear to like PC Eye, yet, he doesn't resort to mean-sprited comments when replying to his posts. Tlarkin (someone a have the utmost respect for) often debates with people in a very thoughtful, respectful manner. He doesn't accuse them of stupidity, call them morons, or otherwise attempt to make them look bad or feel like an idiot - he proves his point and moves on.

Let me explain my standing on that. I know what I know about computers, and I know what I dont know about computers, theres no foggy ground in the middle. PCeye seems to have alot of foggy ground and puts them across as facts.
As a example just yesterday I think (you can look it up if you want) a guy made a thread with a simple question, Is there any AM2+ SLI motherboards. Simple answer NO. The only true AM2+ boards right now have the AMD 700 series chips and the 790s are crossfire. There is not going to be a AM2+ SLI board till Nvidia puts out there 750/780a chips. Theres AM2 SLI boards with a bios update to run the Phenom but there not a AM2+ board with there spec. What does PCeye do, he rambles on for a couple of sentences then gives him 2 links to AM2 Asrock boards that have onboard video that arent even SLI.
Its stuff like that I just dont understand and yes that will lead people to buy things expecially noobs that have no idea to question or even know there not getting what they asked for. I could say a few more things but it would be just dragging a dead dog!

Last edited:

PC eye

banned
People that claim to be knowledgeable or expert in the field, preying on the vulnerable. Because I have such passion for the industry, it angers and frustrates me that people have been treated that way. It's upsetting that people have trusted people like that and have had to suffer the numerous consequences for doing so.

In this case, people don't actually pay for the advice, but they do pay when PCeye feeds the typical line of garbage, believe him, run out and buy this or that, only to find out that he's led them down the garden path.

SirKenin Age:36 "First, a little about myself to give you an idea. I've been in the computer field for 22 years. I started out with Atari and Commodore," Post #28 seen at http://www.computerforum.com/111482-500gb-hdd-wd-samsung-seagate-quick-advice-3.html

36-22=14yrs. old?! The Atari and Commodore then would have been a home tv gaming system and an old "boat anchor" Commodore 64! Fabrication! :rolleyes:

22+yrs. ago I was programming CNC daily for an actual living until being formally trained in the electronics field. That's when I first started working on "old" notebooks and learning how to manually program those there. Try a mountain of those in under two weeks time where you literally had to strip down piles of them in order to repair those in the best condition to get them even working!

"look at your "posts per day count". mine is 33.25!" stated in 2006 shortly after you first came to CF! I really didn't give a flying foobar then and now if you saw 10,000 posts daily! :rolleyes:

One mod then made an excellent observation when asked about this at the time with: "the quality of the post is what matters..." whch still holds true since a forum is where people come to hear solutions for problems with the "collective experiences" from various members not the derogatory remarks some would rather spend more time making.

The sad part about this thread with apologies to the OP is the fact that this as well as other threads get hijacked for this type of crap! It's totally needless and shows the greatest lack of maturity.

SirKenin

banned
Indeed, I started out on the Atari and Commodore Pet, Vic 20, 64, 128 and Amiga. I also was doing programming in basic on the Apple II, IIc, IIe, Pet, Vic 20, Commodore 64 and basic/assembly on the IBM PC, XT and AT. That all started in 1985. By the age of 16 I was teaching computers in the elementary school down the street from my highschool in Dundas, Ontario, Canada. By the age of 17 I was working for the Ontario government, the Ministry of Aboriginal Affairs it's now called, being the one person on staff in that department that had a clue how to operate an IBM XT with 300 baud modem, doing data entry, communicating with other departments and tutoring. By 1989 I was designing logic gates and other circuits, had obtained a 97+% average in computer electronics and had a thorough working knowledge of the circuits that made up every aspect of an IC, plus the circuitry of an entire computer. By 1999 I had built a successful gaming website on a free service (in frames no less) getting 2000 hits a day, being in the top 3 of every Google search query I targetted. By 2002 I had built and maintained the area's most successful chat and community, surpassing and absorbing both competitors, which ran for three years. In 1997 I started my own company. By 1999 I was running a computer store doing sales, service and networking. In 2000 I incorporated.

In 3q 2007 I had increased volume by more than 400% over the same period the previous year. In 2008 I opened my new, larger office, subcontracting for one of the largest computer firms in the area (for specialty work, evenings, weekends, out of town and network design, sales, deployment and maintenance) plus maintaining my own client base, two national retail outlets and one international tool cabinet manufacturer. Partnerships were created for networking, security, perimeter defense, cabling, website design and hosting, etc. During this time I have built more than 500 computers, sold and serviced more than 3000 harddrives and sold countless terabytes of memory. I have been an inspecting engineer of a steel manufacturing (galvanizing, actually) line, deployed servers, workstations, network solutions (including photocopiers, RIPs and multifunctions) in multimillion dollar manufacturing plants. I have cleaned more than one million infections. I collected (and at one point distributed) several hundred virus engines over the years. Run pirate BBSes. etc. I am now an authorized Panda security, Linksys, Powerware, Microsoft, OCZ and Intel vendor and MS beta tester, the last three projects being Vista, Server 2008 and Windows Home Server. Over the years I have owned more than $60,000 in computer equipment, and have used (and still own many) every Microsoft operating system in existence, save for Windows 2.0, and most of their productivity software, including every version of Office. I have had considerable experience with Quattro Pro, Lotus, Pagemaker, Corel Draw, Word Perfect, Photoshop, Ventura, FrontPage, Expression Web, nVu, etc.

One of my next projects is designing, building and deploying a few workstations to control a set of milling machines in a steel manufacturing plant. Engineering creates the designs with CAD, they get sent down to the floor, these stations that I'm building will utilize Master Cam and the designs to control the mills. These machines are massive. It's a lot of fun actually. One of the more amusing projects I've taken on lately is a computerized automated distribution system. A touch screen computer the size of a shoebox sits on top of a row of tool cabinets. The machinist swipes their card, touches the screen to tell it what tools it needs and the drawers light up and release the cover for the tool. It's an ingenious system design to control inventory, only billing for the tools that are pulled and automatically billing for and reordering inventory. It's a lot of fun to work on. This one unit I'm thinking of is in an aerospace manufacturing plant that makes jet engine parts for private jets, helicopters and military equipment. Unfortunately for security reasons I'm not allowed to take pictures.

So, there's a brief synopsis of my computer history. You can call it fabrication if you like. I call it "fact".

10,000 posts, 9,000 being mostly nonsense and constantly reentering a thread to get your last word and attempting to lend your posts credibility with yet more blather about tool and die or irrelevant links you found on Google are nothing to brag about IMO, but that's ok. When the blind lead the blind, eventually they all walk off a cliff. :D

Last edited:

PC eye

banned
attempting to lend your posts credibility with yet more blather about tool and die or irrelevant links you found on Google are nothing to brag about IMO, but that's ok.

You simply don't get it do you? Besides the repeat total lack of respect especially for the OP you're not impressing anyone with your rambling. As far as tool+die I have employment records not links from any search engine. oops! :rolleyes:

Cromewell

Administrator
Staff member
If someone posts something that is less than accurate feel free to post and correct them, I don't care if it's me, PCeye, someone with 1 post or whoever.

What we don't need here is the rest of this crap. If you want to counter points about some way to fix a problem, by all means do it. Past that, please keep it to yourself.

My apologies to mholla79, hopefully you've got the answer you needed amongst all this BS.

Status
Not open for further replies.