DeskJet 3755: How do I connect to my Wi-Fi network?

JohnJSal

Hi all. I just got this printer, but I'm confused how to get it on my Wi-Fi network. Does it require a physical connection to the PC to do this? Because it didn't come with a cable for that.

I'd rather not download the HP Smart app if I don't have to, because I find software like that usually to be just more bloat.

I downloaded and installed the full set of drivers, but trying the automatic detection of the device required that I plug it in with a USB cable.

Is there some other way? Or do I have to use the HP Smart app?

Thanks!

johnb35

Administrator
Staff member
The manual should tell you but you will most likely need to use a USB cable to send the wireless network data to it during the install. Then you can unhook the USB cable. Download the driver software from hp or use the supplied CD if it came with one.

JohnJSal

The manual should tell you but you will most likely need to use a USB cable to send the wireless network data to it during the install. Then you can unhook the USB cable. Download the driver software from hp or use the supplied CD if it came with one.

There isn't really a manual, just a quickstart guide that says to download the HP Smart app, but I'd prefer not to do that if I don't have to. I did a search about it and read that you don't need it if you install the full set of drivers instead, which I did.

But the printer didn't come with a USB cable, so I can't imagine they'd expect us to have something like that lying around.

johnb35

Administrator
Staff member
Well unfortunately, companies are wanting you to use their app for crap now. However, does your router/gateway have a WPS button on it? If so then you can hook it up that way without using a cable first.

If it don't then you'll need a usb cable to set it up via running the driver software.

They should make all wireless printers have a lcd screen so you can connect it to network that way.

JohnJSal

Well unfortunately, companies are wanting you to use their app for crap now. However, does your router/gateway have a WPS button on it? If so then you can hook it up that way without using a cable first.

Yes, my router does, and that was going to be my last resort, but luckily, I did have a cable lying around after all, from my old printer, so I used that and was able to get it set up properly!

Fortunately, you can either use the HP Smart app or just the basic driver software, so I chose the latter. The bad thing is that using this method requires a physical connection (i.e., cable) for the setup. I'm assuming the HP Smart app does as well, though.

They should make all wireless printers have a lcd screen so you can connect it to network that way.

Yes! I kept thinking to myself, if only I could just connect to my network directly on the printer by typing in the SSID and password! :)

Thanks for the help!