Desktop and NAS Build

suiathon

My laptop may be giving up on me and I'd like to begin shifting gears anyways. I no longer use my computer for gaming and do not need computing power for design related programs. Mainly general use programs such as Microsoft Office or Google Drive, QuickBooks Desktop (I don't like paying subscriptions), the occasional DVD/Bluray rip for home theater use, and other low cpu power programs. I believe most of my programs require more memory rather than computing power.

I'd like to set up a media/backup device that works with Plex. Based on what I've read Synology and QNAP may have issues with on the fly encoding. I might have a license of Windows Server 2012 that I got when I was student, but I have yet to see if it actually works. What are your thoughts in this area? Please let me know what to elaborate on.

I'd like my budget to be roughly $500-$1,000 USD total. I still need access to programs like QuickBooks desktop program, however, I'd like to begin stepping away from the traditional laptop or desktop if possible - this may require remote connections to the home server for use if that is possible with QB and other programs. If I need both a desktop and a NAS build, then let me know. Perhaps you know a better setup for my needs.

Thanks in advance!