Desktop Computer

Discussion in 'Desktop Computers' started by peter912, Apr 28, 2018.

1. peter912

peter912 Member

What would you recommend for under $1000 and I don't use it to play games on ?

2. johnb35

johnb35 Administrator Staff Member

That high of a budget? What would be its purpose?

3. peter912

peter912 Member

Browsing the internet, playing chess, sending e mails etc.
    My present computer is $650 but it was on sale for $499. Don't forget that prices are higher here in Canada

4. Totally_Lost

Totally_Lost Member

Trust me, prices include steep import duties here in Southeast Asia. But, you could still get a good machine here, for under $1,000 USD.

No gaming, on board video would work fine, I'm sure. That would save a lot, by not having to buy a card.

5. Laquer Head

Laquer Head Well-Known Member

Which province are you in? Did you want to build a PC with individual parts or did you wanna just hit up BestBuy, Staples,..etc

Depending which end of the country you live in, we have places like memory express and newegg, both have online and retail shops... always amazon too.

6. johnb35

Go buy off the shelf for something like that. Just get a quad core with at least 8gb of ram.

Totally_Lost likes this.
  7. peter912

peter912 Member

Ontario , Best Buy

8. peter912

peter912 Member

Would you stay with Dell ?

9. beers

beers Moderator Staff Member

They're all pretty similar off of the shelf get a 8000 series i3/i5 or Ryzen system like the 2200 or 2400g Apu.

Pretty much any system will do what your requirements are, just don't buy the absolute cheapest machine or one that had ddr3.

Totally_Lost likes this.
  10. Totally_Lost

Totally_Lost Member

The one I am on at the moment is an old Dell Optiplex 3020 with 16g of RAM. It's 4 years old. I imagine hey still build them ok.

Like @beers suggested, I would get DDR4 RAM. Personally, I would go with 16g, over 8g, though.

11. Totally_Lost

Totally_Lost Member

12. Laquer Head

nice, we live in southern Ontario, near K/W area. I'd honestly just go into a Bestbuy near you and see what they have in your price range, I see online they have all the usually brands, HP, Acer, Asus,..etc

13. peter912

peter912 Member

Oh No, My computer is the Dell Inspiron 3656 which I bought one year ago. I just checked on the internet and it came with ddr3 . I wish I would have known about this last year before I bought the computer.

14. Laquer Head

Definitely go to Staples and look at the Asus desktops they have.. and same at BestBuy, Acer, Asus, even a few nice looking Lenovo

15. Totally_Lost

Totally_Lost Member

It's not like a federal crime, or anything. It's just slower RAM. Also, I would suggest installing an SSD in as your C: Drive, which will help the machine to boot faster.

16. beers

There's nothing 'bad' about DDR3, it's just old and there have been a couple generations of platforms now that utilize DDR4 instead. If you're buying new there's no point in buying stuff that's a couple years old.
    What's wrong with your current PC?

17. johnb35

You must have a short memory. Check his latest thread, keeps shutting down, rebooting on him.

18. Intel_man

Intel_man VIP Member

Beers runs on RAM. No Windows 10 fast boot caching.

beers and Darren like this.
  19. peter912

peter912 Member

Thankfully it does not happen too often, once during the past two weeks.

20. beers

Oh right that warranty one. Being a dick to them until they replace it would be less expensive.

Is there any other computer you had your eye on?