Desktop EMPTY, Startmenu gone, only left wallpaper. ><

auxingyi

Somebody please help me.. >< My OS is Window XP Professional.

I downloaded a game, and when I tried to play it, my computer hanged. So I restarted my computer.

However, when I login into my Windows, only my wallpaper appeared. My entire desktop and Start menu plus the toolbar below (stating time date etc) had gone!

I cant click or rightclick ANYTHING on my wallpaper. There is simply NOTHING except the picture. I cant use the Windows flag key to trigger the Start menu.

I can only access programs through TaskManager now. :(

I have tried many things:

1)Open explorer.exe through TaskManager. The process was not there in TaskManager when I login my computer, but after running explorer.exe, the process was there at TaskManager. But problem still unsolved.

2)Scan with Spyware Search and Destroy, Lavasoft Personal Adware, Registry Mechanic, BOHdemon, Spyware Terminator...nothing!

3)Restart my computer, press F8 so that I can restore it to last good configuration, but there is no such option. The options were harddisk or cd, I clicked on harddisk. Then it showed weird numbers like ST26626246F (example). The desktop is still empty.

Please dont reply asking me to do the above things, rightclick on desktop and using windows flag key, because I have tried them all and failed.

Only once, I finally saw my DESKTOP!! When i tried to go to safe mode using msconfig->boot.ini->/safemode, and the computer began to shut down and restart, just before the computer shut down, THE DESKTOP WAS BACK. But when I logged back into safemode, and then back into normal mode, the desktop was gone again.

PLeaSE HELP!!! >< I AM DESPERATE. THANKS!!

patrickv

if there's no desktop then its the explorer that's not loading probably.
ctrl+alt-del and check if explorer is running.

if you try terminating explorer your desktop would be just like you mention
verify

patrickv

but then again updating your antivirus and do a scan.Apply your MS updates and if all else fails. try fixing your OS installation.

norcodh

I would do all the windows updates. Sometimes it notices things are broken and downloads a fix or reinstalls them. also try a good registry scanner like free registry fix.

Also! try a system restore under safe mode... go back to a working date... easy fix
OR
dont look at dirty sites anymore =P
juusstt playing

keddy_rocks

Safe Mode

Hi Auxingyi

Start your computer in "Safe Mode"

"Uninstall" That Game and all unused softwares

And Restart The Computer

:)

auxingyi

First, I said I tried running explorer.exe many many many times. And the explorer.exe is in the processes in TaskManager. Many explorer.exe infact, since I tried many times.

Second, my bad, I meant I already uninstalled the game.

Thanks for your suggestions.

There is new information on this problem.. I scan using Spyware Terminator again, it helped me deleted 3 critical items. 1 of them, I suspect was what causing this problem. After deleting it, my desktop was back to normal.

However, today when I start my comp again, the desktop was empty again. Now I am running another scan.. I am very confused about the problem.

BTW, the Spyware Terminator asked me whether I should block C:/....../Temp/Win1.exe all the way to C:/....Temp/Win10.exe. There are like 10 of such applications. Are they dangerous? Win1.exe to Win10.exe?

Thanks for any reply. (BTW, I am a girl.)

xBoom

Do a "System Restore" (Start > All Programs > Accessories > System Tools > System Restore OR Start > Help and Support Center > 'Undo changes to your computer with System Restore'). Of course, system restore must be turned on/enabled. If it's off..

If you have the Windows CD, try repairing Windows.

Repairing: Reinstalling Windows :)

Froztblade

If all else fails try more effective anti virus/spyware.

Prevx is a good trial one
Comodo is a good free one

But as others have pointed out System Restore is the best.

If you have a file and your wondering whether it is a virus or not try Googling it.

Reinstalling windows probably won't help if he has a Trojan will it?
He would have to reformat wouldn't he?

Either way Reinstalling Windows or Reformatting your hard drive should be a
last resort. also check MSconfig to make sure none of the possibly harmful files or processes are set to run at startup.

This isn't meant to be insulting, but why does it matter your a girl.

Last edited:

Deepblue

could be a corrupt profile .
goto c:\documents and setting and do you see a folder called "TEMP"

does the computer have multiple accounts ?

is so log on with another account and see if its the same,
if this account is ok then go to c:\documents and setting and rename the profile folder. just add a .000 to the end of the folder

for example
c:\documents and setting\auxingyi would become
c:\documents and setting\auxingyi.000

next relog onto your account, this will recreate the
c:\documents and setting\auxingyi profile
next copy the Desktop, my documents and favorites folders from the
c:\documents and setting\auxingyi.000 folder to the new
c:\documents and setting\auxingyi folder and overwrite all existing
files