Desktop Icons

pursang

I've been trying to make more room on my desktop so I can ad more links, I was wondering if I can use just the text as the link and not bother having an icon at all, can I do this ?

IlluminatedSheep

You must have a lot of shortcuts!

In theory, you could just resize the icon to 0. You would need to readjust the horizonal spacing between icons as well, to squish them up.

Just go to control panel, display, appearance, advanced, and use the drop down box to change whatever you want.

pursang

Thanks for your help IlluminatedSheep, johnsonyong03, and gamerman4.

codeman0013, I have 86 icons but the monitor is mounted in the wall and limited to a 13" screen.

johnsonyong03, yes just the words and no icon.

gamerman4, I'm not sure what the resolution is set at, this is my first computer, how do I check that, and set it ?

IlluminatedSheep, This is what I've done so far, I've gone to properties on each icon and changed it to a small red asterisk but the overall size of the icon appears to have stayed the same, so no gain, what's helped a lot was disabling the grid system allowing me to place the icons wherever I want, I've changed the icon from whatever the default size was to # 28. but I think when I did that it caused all the icons to rearrange themselves alphabetically on the left side of the screen, I'd really like to avoid that happening again !

IlluminatedSheep

OK, mine are currently set at 22, but you should be able to get them smaller than that. I dont know if it's possible to set them at 0, but it's worth a try. Dont forget to alter the vertical space between them, ie make it smaller, so you can fit more in each column. If you right click on your desktop, you will get the the choice of align icons by name . etc. etc. which you can change to what you prefer.

gamerman4

To check your resolution...
Go to the Control Panel
Open Display
Go To Settings tab
your resolution should be right there.
before you start messing with it, if you have LCD monitor (thin flat screen monitor) then you should keep it at its native resolution
if you have CRT (big TV-like monitor) then you can set it as high as it lets you but make sure you can see things clearly at higher resolutions...

pdc76

in the advanced options on the appearance tab of the display properties, you can select icon, icon spacing (horizontal), and icon spacing (vertical). you can make the size smaller there.