Desktop internet access via hotspot, data usage?

whatsamodem

Scenario:
Two adults in the house, one Mac desktop computer, two iPhones on a Verizon 24GB plan, 4G LTE Verizon Jetpack Mifi 5510L.
Internet access where we live is limited to wireless.
My greatest frustration is not trusting our usage according to Verizon. Watching Youtube videos consumes data at a rate that kills the 24GB quickly.
My question is, how can we reduce our data usage?
I know this is such a generic question that has endless variables, but Im contemplating either a new computer or a new hotspot or both to lesson our data usage and lower our monthly cost.
Ive been on countless chat sessions with Verizon but it feels like they are just doing their best to milk us for more money. They are so quick to recommend a data upgrade.
I experimented with watching videos on the iPhone instead of the desktop, but it didn't improve much, I racked up 24GB pretty quickly.
Is buying a wireless router something we should consider?
Any advice is appreciated.

johnb35

Administrator
Staff member
If you watch a lot of videos then you are out of luck. You either need to increase the amount of data you can use or go dsl or cable if available in your area. But you said its limited to wireless so upgrading your data package is the only solution.

whatsamodem

If you watch a lot of videos then you are out of luck. You either need to increase the amount of data you can use or go dsl or cable if available in your area. But you said its limited to wireless so upgrading your data package is the only solution.
Oh boy
Not what I wanted to hear.
I was going to ask my question differently.
If you planned to watch a lot of video through a hotspot, what would be the most efficient way to do it?
What device?
What provider?

porterjw

Spaminator
Staff member
Whatever one offered the best speed/bandwith/price balance. Different tiers and pricing depending on where you are, so you'd have to do some research. Keep in mind that a lot of providers will throttle speeds after a certain amount of data is used unless you pay a premium. Look into the big three (AT&T, Sprint, Verizon) and do some speed/data/cost comparisons.

whatsamodem

Whatever one offered the best speed/bandwith/price balance. Different tiers and pricing depending on where you are, so you'd have to do some research. Keep in mind that a lot of providers will throttle speeds after a certain amount of data is used unless you pay a premium. Look into the big three (AT&T, Sprint, Verizon) and do some speed/data/cost comparisons.
Thank you
Will do.

whatsamodem

AT&T say 5-12 Mbps
So the big three providers seem to be in the same ballpark.
I'm probably not asking all the right questions.