Desktop or laptop?

blonde_seashell

I'm a kid and I need a computer. I spend most of my time playing on the Internet, doing webdesign, and schoolwork. The games I play are mainly Sims :) and I can't decide which one.

Xelogen

hey im guessing you're refering to the original sims rather than the sequel?? as long as you are only going to playing fairly dated games like the sims, you shouldnt need that higher specs. id just go for a cheap Intel P4 2.4GHZ with 256 ram and a 40 gb hdd. theres not really any need for any more (good graphics and sound cards etc) unless you plan to get into more demanding games or programs like Photoshop that use a lot of system resources.

Apathetic

Youd be fine with a laptop. Just get the Dell inspiron 6000 for like what, 674? Intel graphics should do just fine with sims.

ripken2004

the sims 1 runs perfect on an intel 800mhz, 256ram, and 32mb integrated vid card
sims 2 doesnt require much either, just get a good vid card so that it doesnt crash on u

as long as u dont plan on playing any new games then get a laptop

blonde_seashell

I am hoping to get the Sims 2, but for now I just have Sims 1. I do a LOT of webdesign, and what browser do you recommend? (Fast, REALLY good security, moderately good pop-up blocking?) I have heard good things about Mozilla Firefox, and Firefox (are they the same?) and my budget is $1000 or below. I will try to get Paint Shop Pro (if you know what is the best and cheapest version, let me know!)

Praetor

Administrator
Staff member
Vid card = videocard = the thingy that lets you connect a monitor. Generally, if you play games you'll want to look for a certain calibre of videocard however if you limit your gaming to the aforementioned games you dont have to invest in such a heavy duty card

Praetor

Administrator
Staff member
No worries. I might suggest you get a desktop though as you will have much more exapandability later on (laptops arent so easy/cheap) to upgrade.

blonde_seashell

Okay! Thanx again! And while I'm here, can I ask how much it usually costs to upgrade? And what you would upgrade? (sorry to be a pest!)

Praetor

Administrator
Staff member
The cost of an upgrade depends on what you're upgrading. A RAM upgrade can be $30 ... a videocard upgrade can be $500.

X24

Well, if u can't justify the need for a laptop, then u should get a desktop.
Naturally all these people will say desktop since this part is about desktop computers.

But, anyway, if you want to move around a bit, then a laptop could be right where you need it to be.

with a dell $750 off coupon or $600 off, you can get a nice i6000 from dell for around 1000 or less.

or, you could get a $500 desktop that will do everything you want, and more.

blonde_seashell

Thank you! I don't think that I would really need to be moving around, but other than being movable, light, and incredibly easy to steal, what other advantages are there to laptops?

I heard that they don't have as good graphics, not as much memory (or something like that), and how do you access the internet?

Praetor

Administrator
Staff member
Other than mobility and lower power consumption (which isnt an issue for desktops cuz yer not on a battery), nothing.