Desktop PC Build

TroyTRFC

Hi, I want to build a PC for about £500-£600 It will be used for gaming, watching movies, downloading, surfing the web and skyping. Any recommended builds would be much appreciated.

Thank you

Shlouski

VIP Member
You could get a 1tb hdd instead, they are worth it on price, i was just trying to keep the price down. I can also personally recommend that nzxt case as a great budget case, i have got one myself. Its got all you could need with plenty of cooling, loads of hdd bays, it looks smart and its not expensive. As far as cpu's go, not much beats the 2500k for gaming (especially when OCed), others maybe slightly more powerful, but a hell of a lot more expensive, with very little gains. This motherboard will give you the option to overclock if you wish. This setup should enable you in the future to just buy more powerful graphics cards, when you feel you need it. This cpu should be able to push the lastest and greatest graphics cards to their limits for years to come :), but best check power requirements first, you may need to upgrade your power supply. I still have a good old Q9550 @ 3.8ghz, which is about 5 years old now and it still maxes out my GTX 680 before it reaches its max :)

Last edited:

spirit

Staff member
Get an i5 3570K (newer and will work better with the Z77 board), get a 2GB 7850 and get a Corsair CX 600 power supply. Cooler Master's lower-end power supplies aren't great.

wolfeking

banned
If it is reference design, then the manufacturer does not matter, as ATI sets down the design. If you use non reference, then stay away from XFX. Look at Sapphire, Gigabyte, or MSI.

Warren

Will I need to get a certain manufacturer for the 2GB 7850 graphics card or doesn't it matter

From all the research I did the Sapphire seemed to have the better reviews/benchmarks although the MSI/Gigabyte came highly recommended.
I think the best priced was either Aria or Amazon in the UK, can't remember. Neither had stock though so I ended up buying a Gigabyte HD 7870 2GB from Overclockers.
Offered quite a nice improvement over the 7850 with a lot of OC potential. I'll let you know how it runs when I build the thing Saturday.