Desktop powered down and won't turn on

lunercrab

New Member
Ok so i have a desktop that was custom buildt about three years ago. I used to use it fairly frequently but since I got my laptop it's maybe only been truned on once or twice in the past year. I went to turn it on quick to print something before I left for vaction. It turned on aboited fine. I was in the process of going online whaen the computer just died. U could here it just slowly wind down and shut off. It's in a surge protector and nothings tripped. I even tried plugging it into another socket and nothing. Now I didn't have much time to check it out since I was leaving so I'm thinking it could be the power source went bad maybe? Could there be something else I should look for? Thanks
 
Sounds like it's almost definitely the power supply. These things just give out over time, but it's not too pricey to replace.
 
Yeah thanks. That's what I'm hoping it is. I'll have to test it out when I get back. Now if I change the power supply and it still doesn't work is there a way to tell if the mobo has went bad?
 
The only real test is to just swap out components one at a time until you find out what is wrong. However even with a bad mobo the power supply should kick on, and the fan would start spinning. If that's not happening the it's very likely the power supply that is the problem.
 
Back
Top