desktop replacement

mark123can

am interested in buying a home computer and was wondering which of these you guys thought was best and why because i like them both but am leaning toward one more than the other,i want a computer that will still be able to keep up with running modern applications for a while and dont really care about portability or weight but i would like quiet(if possible) because its for a bedroom.

HP Pavilion ZD7188CL
pentium 4 3.2
nVidia GeForce FX Go5600 64MB
1024mb ram
80gb hdd
17" 1440x900 tft
dual layer dvd burner
wi-fi
xp-home
4.2kg
or a
fujitsu siemens amilo a 1630
amd athlon 64 2.4ghz 3700+(754clawhammer)
ati mobility radeon 9700 128mb
1024mb ram
80gb hdd
15.4"1280x800tft
dual layer dvd burner
wi-fi
xp home
3.6kg

these are both £899 but please bear in mind uk prices are higher than us

Dropkickmurphys

i would go for the HP Pavilion ZD7188CL because it is all round better than the fujitsu siemens amilo a 1630 and as youre not into gaming that much, you wont require a really powerful graphics card. and the HP also has a bigger screen :)

Advitiya Saxena

1. HP just have a advantage over the screen size n resol.

2. But Fujtsi will out perform HP with its nice future proof AMD n 128 MB dedicated VRAM.......

3. Also not to mention the adv. of being lighter and I think Fujtsi systems are much better than HP, they use better components like faster RAM n HDD.

4.But they are really heavy.

alanuofm

VIP Member
mark what do you plan to do with this laptop? i have bought several "powerful" laptops with pentium 4 processors. now i'm kicking myself for crappy battery life and the waste of 3000$

mark123can

will be used at the moment mainly for internet,music,dvds,photos,and probably wont be turned off for weeks/months at a time
also lots of ram is important because i like to have everything running at once for convenience,
in the future may be used for video/tv purposes and the ability to try 64 bit applications is a bonus if they ever make some 64 bit stuff we can use

alanuofm

VIP Member
mark123can said:
will be used at the moment mainly for internet,music,dvds,photos,and probably wont be turned off for weeks/months at a time
also lots of ram is important because i like to have everything running at once for convenience,
in the future may be used for video/tv purposes and the ability to try 64 bit applications is a bonus if they ever make some 64 bit stuff we can use

is the laptop going to be plugged in all the time or do you plan to travel a lot with it?

mark123can

wont really be used away from the house but i heard pentium 4s run hotter and noiseier and this would put me off,are athlon64s cooler and quieter than pentium 4s or is it just a rumour?
i would like to be able to sleep in the same room as the computer when it is switched on and downloading large files

alanuofm

VIP Member
They usually are less quiet. My roommate last year had an athlon 64 3000+ in an HP and you could hear the fan but not as loud as my pentium 4 on my other laptop. however i can't even hear a fan in my pentium M.

mark123can

pentium m or turion seems to be the way the go from all accounts,but i doubt if either would be as fast as the a64 2.4ghz,maybe the faster 2.13 or 2.26 but these are way outta my pricerange,even these dont do well on battery power if they have a big screen and a good gpu.i read the amd clocks down to 800 mhz and stays there whenn surfing and doin easy stuff,if i left it at 800mhz would it rival a turion or pentium m for power consumption or would it still use more power even when clocked down to 800mhz?

alanuofm

VIP Member
mark123can said:
pentium m or turion seems to be the way the go from all accounts,but i doubt if either would be as fast as the a64 2.4ghz,maybe the faster 2.13 or 2.26 but these are way outta my pricerange,even these dont do well on battery power if they have a big screen and a good gpu.i read the amd clocks down to 800 mhz and stays there whenn surfing and doin easy stuff,if i left it at 800mhz would it rival a turion or pentium m for power consumption or would it still use more power even when clocked down to 800mhz?

pentium M and turion still dominates in power consumption. they use close to like 5 watts in idle and 29 watts at max load. the performance range is not noticeable at all between the pentium and amd mobile processors and their desktop counter parts when using it for what 90% of what most people do on a computer. i have yet to see lag on my pentium M 1.6 ghz.

X24

IDK what the amd64 uses, but i know its quite a bit more then either of the mobile processors, and my PM1.6 is handling all the games i play very nicely.
also, mine gets very good battery life for what it has in it!
really, from what you say you want to do with it, a desktop replacement really sounds like it is going to be more powerful that u need..........but still its always nice to have a little extra power.

mark123can

i would just be dissappointed if i went a mobile processor now and next year it was slow in doing stuff especially as this computer will hardly never leave the house,il had a look at the amd website but couldnt seem to find how much power the a64 2.4 uses under full load and idle