Desktop Shutting Down

reservoirdog

Hi Guys.

Quick question, I've noticed about once a month that my Desktop is shutting down overnight. I get up in the morning and it has shut down while I was sleeping. Not re-started...shut down. I've been monitoring my processor temperature, and it is usually in the mid to high 30's low 40's (not too bad). I'm experiencing no performance issues during the day, and it has never shut down during the day, only at night. Power Supply (Corsair 750Watt) seems to be functioning fine. I'm not a super user, so the power supply should be more than adequate. It's an i7 System with an ASUS P6T mobo. I power it up when I get up in the morning on the occasions when it shuts down, and all is well. I have my Microsoft Securities Essentials Anti-Virus set to scan at 2am once a week, and my Windows Update set to update every day at 3am. These applications might cause a re-start, but not a shut down, correct? I checked my power plan (balanced), and I have the settings set to "put computer to sleep" NEVER, and "turn the display off" NEVER. I'm thinking I might have some other setting set to "Power Down" instead of "Restart" any ideas on what the cause might be? Thanks.

johnb35

Administrator
Staff member
Are you sure its shutting down and just not hibernating or going into standby?

reservoirdog

It is definitely shutting down. I have it set to "never" hibernate. I just checked advanced power settings, and hybrid sleep was "on", (not sure what that is) I have turned it to "off", but I don't think that was the culprit. Like I said, it is shutting down about once a month.

reservoirdog

Nah... I've been monitoring the CPU Temperature with CoreTemp and it's consistently between 35-45c. Every once in a while it will spike to 55c, but I don't think I've seen it much higher than that. I do have the overheat protection on the CoreTemp settings set to "shut down" in the event the CPU temp ever reaches 80c. But I really don't think that's the problem. I've checked the event viewer, and it shows nothing regarding a thermal spike, or an alert requiring a shut down.

reservoirdog

I was kinda thinkin' that myself. I never shut it down. I might re-start the system once a month. The computer is performing great, I see no evidence of any damage to the system, no error messages or anything like that. I'm just wondering why it only happens about once a month in the middle of the night.

reservoirdog

No. My Microsoft Security Essentials (MSE) anti-virus runs once a week, so this would be happening on a weekly basis if that were the case. I'm also running AVG anti-virus every night in addition to the MSE anti-virus which runs once a week (Sunday night). I just un-installed the MSE anti-virus. If I had to guess, I'd say this issue began about the time I installed the MSE, so let's see if it happens again. I can't think of anything else to try.

johnb35

Administrator
Staff member
Bingo.. May not be the direct issue but it's a no no to have more than one antivirus program installed at any given time. Report back if it still does it.