Desktop User Needs to Get Laptop, Recommendations?

leopardforest

Last summer I built myself (my first) desktop i7 gaming/multi purpose machine and I love it! But now I am going to be going to Europe for a year and I think that it is going to be a big hassle to try and get my desktop there as it is a full tower and dual 24" screens I really want to take it but I don't want to deal with it.

So my question for you: I want to get a laptop that can run the same programs I run now (CAD, games (TF2, Bad Company), Matlab, etc) and be in the range of about $900-1000. I have been looking at HP and ASUS. Any recommendations? I don't mind a bigger laptop (I am spoiled by my dual 24" screens), or poor battery performance.

Thanks!!

Drenlin

These are the best performing machines I could find on Newegg:

Gateway NV7901u (2.26GHz Core i5, Radeon HD5650)
http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16834101222
This'll handle mid-level games, has decent resolution(1600x900), and the bigger screen of the two. The GPU should be between a 4650 and a 4670 in gaming performance, so there's plenty you'll be able to run.

The other one is this Lenovo IdeaPad Y550P (1.6GHz Core i7, Geforce GT240m)
http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16834146613
This has an i7, but the GPU is roughly 2/3 as powerful as the gateway. It also has lower res, at 1366 x 768, and a smaller screen. (15.6") However, while it's no Thinkpad, it'll still probably have better build quality than the gateway. Basically, worse gaming performance and screen, potentially better CAD performance and build quality.

Last edited:

wag 42

All I can really say is that I have heard some really great things about Asus. They appear to provide a lot of performance and quality for a decent price. I can guarantee the next laptop I buy will be an Asus. I'm not nearly as computer savy as most of the people on this board, but have been reading alot, and I am learning alot.

Personally, I am a bit biased towards HP. I have purchased a total of 3 or 4 desktops and 2 laptops from them, and really haven't been impressed. Why you ask? Ignorance I guess. I am sure some of there newer performance laptops are really good, but it's not a road that I plan on traveling down anymore. That's just my $.02 worth.