Desperate needed help for options

RN09

New Member
First I want to say that I am very happy found this site.

I have a question hopefully can get some helps from experts people here.

I have 5 years old desk top:

CPU: Intel Pentium 4 2.4B Northwood 2.4GHz 512KB L2 Cache Socket 478 Single-Core Processor
http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16819116140

Board: Foxconn 661M03-G-6EL 478 SiS 661FX Micro ATX Intel Motherboard
http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16813186007

It runs W7 with 1GB of ram. It's slow but not dead slow.

Now I have few options want to run through you guys which one is the best:

1). Get to max ram: 2GB. The cost for 2gb DDR probably $60

2). Forget it and buy/build another one. This is surely cost more. Probably get a refurbish gateway about $300 or more if build the new one. If build the new one, the reuse stuffs are: dvd burner, power 350W, keyboard, mouse, and a case. However, I a afraid the cost will be high up and I am on the tight budget. I don't think I can build a computer with $300 that why thinking the refurbish.

3). I am not sure this is works out but can I buy a faster CPU only and replace the old one?

Any other options/inputs will be much appreciated.

Best Regards,

I am not into the game or anything like that. The computer mostly for capture video from camcorder and burn dvd.
 
Last edited:
the ram depends on what kind you have, it might not be that much maybe closer to $40.

how slow is your computer what is the rating you get in 7?
 
I would say about 5 or 6.

If I build a new system, can I spend like $200 for CPU, MB, 2GB ram, and a power? The one I have is 350W and I don't know if ok to reuse it.

It was running ok before with XP. Slow when I upgrade to W7.
 
Last edited:
If I build a new system, can I spend like $200 for CPU, MB, 2GB ram, and a power? The one I have is 350W and I don't know if ok to reuse it.

yeah you could maybe but it wouldnt be better than what you have.

Are all of your drivers installed...namely graphics card? Are you able to run aero?

you should get a more powerful ps than 350w if you were to build a new box.

how slow are we talking here? like its not playing some videos games as well as they did before or your having problems opening up the start menu?
 
It's mainly use search web. It seems open slower than with before XP. Noticeably.
The video car is NVIDIA GeForce 6100. It is the very low card. Yes, I installed the drivers. It runs with 2 sticks 512mb x 2. Do you think it is because not enough ram?
 
Last edited:
i would try upping your ram and taking off all of the fluff by right clicking computer and choose properties and click advanced settings and there should be performance options where you can make adjust for best performance.
 
Back
Top