Desperate woman here

BluePlum

banned
umm tight in the slang way means cool...idk if ur jokin or not....anyways hell yea we cool. been ice ever since ur thread about howur gonna die

tight means slack and can mean were homies just seeing which one :p. And Yer i didnt die ftw :D

TexasAngel

Sorry I interrupted this lovely chat - I thought I had come to a place where I could get some help...........again my bad

4 the one who answered about the spyware..........thank you..............i appreciate you sticking to the original question

TexasAngel

Thank you so very much - I am trying now as we speak to download the Hijackthis program.

Usually I am somewhat smart about my computer but this one has had me going crazy - I guess an extra set of eyes is always helpful :)

TexasAngel

Hijackthis download..................

I tried this as advised and got the same error message.............."not a Win32 Application"

yuck............still hoping there is help for this wayward angel and her computer :eek:

Cromewell

Administrator
Staff member
Try that file I linked after, your exe associations are probably messed up. You can reset it yourself if you don't mind using regedit (you have to rename regedit.exe to regedit.com if you want to do it manually)

TexasAngel

I did go to the link listed

says it cannot access the registry :-((

i am not scared of regedit :-D.....but if you would be so kind to guide me in the proper direction............I would be grateful

Cromewell

Administrator
Staff member
OK. Since you can't use exe's you first have to navigate to the windows directory and rename regedit.exe regedit.com.

Once that is done, double click it. Navigate to HKEY_CLASSES_ROOT\exefile\shell\open\command

There should be a single key, double click it and set the value to

If it is already set to that, the problem is else where and I'll have to do some searching.

TexasAngel

Ok i am a little slower, older and blonder

not certain where to go to make the necessary change............however while just persuing following the navigatonal directions

HKEY_CLASSES_ROOT\exefile\shell\open\command

i got to the first part..........but there is no exefile etc......

mine is listed as

HKEY_CLASSES_ROOT\.exe\PersistentHandler and no I havent changed anything yet............just looking ;)

I do so appreciate your patience and assistance..............

TFT

VIP Member
Hi TexasAngel

scroll further down pass the "exe", that's not the one he's talking about. Further down you will see "exefile". Open out the subs under that.

Other than that I'm no help at all on this :D

TexasAngel

Curtsies and says thank you sir

yes I did scroll further down as directed

and yes the folder and its subs read as they should............<heavy sigh>:eek:

massahwahl

VIP Member
I noticed you mentioned trying to dowload limewire, do you have any other P2P programs installed like morpheus or kazaa, etc..? These can unload some very nasty spywares and viruses.

My first step would be checking your add remove programs folder and seeing if there are any strange programs installed and get rid of them. The others will help you get your registry back in order!

Cromewell

Administrator
Staff member
So you did manage to find the exefile entry? If not, you can use the search function (ctrl+f) to find it.

One way or another we should get hijackthis running. If you make a new text document where you saved the hijackthis. Then all you need to put in it is "HiJackThis" and save it. Rename the file to a .bat extension and double click it. bat files have their own shell open for exes.

massahwahl

VIP Member
Or Maby shes not downloading .exe files or shes on linux and trying to run .exe files without wine. Use your noggin...

Its people like you that should warrant the forums having a 'three dumb, not helpful ignorant reply rule and your out'

angel, did you get the issue resolved yet?

TexasAngel

Good Afternoon Gentlemen

Hmmmm or is that term to be used loosely :p

I admitted defeat yesterday under great strain that had nothing to do with computer and ......uggggghhhhhh reformatted the whole dang thing..........I was so mad......I am not one to give in nor give up. While not as knowledgeable as many here are I somewhat know what should and should not be on my computer.........and well........pfffttt enough.........

To answer a question no I didnt (dont) have any P2P programs.........yes they are wonderful for sneaking in stuff you really dont want.

Now I suppose the next step is to determine which vendor offers the best protection for my baby so I do not have to do this again.

Gentlemen, I offer my thanks and appreciation for taking the time to help me try and figure this out.............I am grateful.

Last edited: