Destroying my external hard drive?

Kesava

I have a Western Digital My Book Essential Edition 500GB external hard drive. I want to take it apart and use it as an internal hard drive.

Has anyone done this before? I want to do it without destroying the case.

I have searched around online and havent really found anything that helps me because each different model seems to have a different way to take it apart.

Does anyone have experience with my particular model? I have found 2 things under the rubber feet but have no idea what they are for.

There is also a hole with a little lock symbol.

Not sure what way to go about taking this apart.

Thanks for your help.

Froboy7391_99

I used a dremel and later realised the oddly shaped screws would actually accept a small flathead. I then commenced to kick my self......

voyagerfan99

Master of Turning Things Off and Back On Again
Staff member
Post a picture of how it looks. I took ours apart to replace the drive. Maybe it's the same one.

gamerman4

Google
"disassemble western digital my book"
there are quite a few useful resources
instructables are usually pretty reliable how-tos. I had a seagate freeagent that I took apart with directions from there.

luckyedboy66

ya, post a pic. i took apart my WD passport, and it basically snapped together. i used a precision flat head to take it apart.

voyagerfan99

Master of Turning Things Off and Back On Again
Staff member
ya, post a pic. i took apart my WD passport, and it basically snapped together. i used a precision flat head to take it apart.

That's pretty much all I had to do with my MyBook. Just had to snap apart the edges and then slide it out.

Motoxrdude

My WD external came apart pretty easy. The front and sides are like a sleeve and you can just pull it straight off without having to unscrew anything.

Kesava

I had a look at heaps of stuff on google but nothing specifically matched my exact hard drive. I'll try sliding it out and if that doesnt work ill post up some pics.