Detect damaged hardware

Quaresma7

I know this is more of a general hardware question but as there is no general hardware suborum I put this here.
My problem is as follows: I sent my desktop pc via UPS abroad to my new home and despite working generally without making beeps at the start, I had some blue screens at the beginning and the computer was really slow. After removing some dust from the CPU fan, cleaning temporal data, registry and updating both drivers and my antivirus program, it works quite good so far for basics like office programs and stuff.
But games, in my case e.g. FIFA 17, are running really slow and lagging which was not the case before the transport. So I fear that during the transport, there occured some hardware damages. Unfortunately, I don't know which hardware part(s) is/are damaged. Most assumably the graphics card, RAM and/or CPU, but I don't know how to test it.
Is there any software to detect hardware issues?
Or do I have to take a look onto the hardware itself? In case of the latter, what do I have to look for to detect damages?
Thank you in advance!

johnb35

Administrator
Staff member
Look at the temp of the video card when you are playing. How high does it go? You really have to pack a pc really well so it doesn't move at all, lots of bubble wrap and pack it tight. Is your system detecting all the ram?

Quaresma7

Temperature was constantly at like 50° while "playing" so not a worrysome height I think. RAM also displayed correctly at 8 GB.
As for the PC, I think I packed it quite well into some good polystyrene in which my PC's tower was packed originally. Probably not good enough, I don't know.
Also I checked the RAM and hard disc with the windows utility programs (no problems detected) as well as the processor with an intel service programme (no problem either).
Do you have other ideas why it could be?
Should I post some more info here (if yes, which one)?

johnb35

Administrator
Staff member
So I'm assuming cpu temp was okay as well? To me it just sounds like something is up with the video card possibly. Have you tried removing it and reinserting? You can also try installing latest drivers. Other than that, its hard to determine what is wrong without replacing parts. You can also tear the system down and rebuild it to see if that helps.

Quaresma7

Thank you very much for your help so far - I just saw that my latest answer was never sent I somehow forgot about checking due to not using my computer currently.
I downloaded a CPU temp program and it looked somewhat alerting, but see yourself:
CPU temp.png

Up to 100° without doing difficult tasks at all. That might be the problem? Insufficient cooling? Because at least some intel service program I downloaded stated that the CPU itself was ok apparently... What do you think?

johnb35

Administrator
Staff member
Thats definitely too hot at idle. Sounds like your cpu heatsink may be loose and not making good contact with the cpu itself. I would remove it, clean off old thermal paste and apply new and reattach.

Quaresma7

Okay, I’ll take a look at it tomorrow then. Do you think that this could explain the whole mess (slow system when tasks get bigger)?
As for now seems to be the only hardware issue (did several tests again for all components without finding any problem...)

johnb35

Administrator
Staff member
Yes, cpu gets hotter as more tasks happen and without proper cooling will slow the pc down tremendously.

Quaresma7

Okay so this was in fact the problem. The sink was a bit loose for some reason... fter adding some thermal paste and fastening it again, it is working better!
But now, the fan is louder as it was ever before... and starting FIFA, I still get temps of 95-100 (although I assume that it will take some time for the thermal paste to disperse?)
Probably have to buy a new, more efficient cooler...

beers

Staff member
Did you make sure to twist each pin after pulling them out, putting them back into a locking position? The fan being louder tells me it's making worse contact.

The stock cooler should be more than plenty at stock speeds, and it sounds like it was fine in the system before shipping. I'd go over the mounting again. Also check if any of the plastic tabs look weird or damaged on the back side of the board when you click them in. You'd want to take a close look to see if the pin made it all the way through on the back of the board and locks correctly. Sometimes when you push them down you will get a 'click' but the fastener won't be all the way through the mounting hole.