Detecting keyloggers etc

amra

Hello,

so my father installed eblaster on my laptop a few years ago and used it until two years ago, unbeknowst to me of course (as a side note, I am definitely not a kid anymore, so as you can imagine I am not too thrilled). I just found out about it and obviously I am now quite worried.

First of all - I have had a new laptop for two years, he did not set up the system, I always had a strong password on it, and I never let him use it and tried never to leave him alone around it. So I don't think he managed to get something on this one, but you never know, and I would rather be sure.
Having to set up the entire system anew would be quite inconvenient, my windows 7 and all other program discs are not where I am right now. In a month I will be able to do it though. Until then, what are my options to find out about whether or not a keylogger or similar is being used on me? avast and MalwareBytes haven't picked up anything.

johnb35

Administrator
Staff member
If they haven't found anything, then you can almost be rest assured that nothing is on there. Look in your installed programs to make sure there isn't anything weird in the list.

amra

Really? Hmm, ok. That's good news then. But I always thought they would be a bit harder to track down than with a simple antivirus programme.

turbodiesel

if your Dad really did install a key-logger on your PC then he probably set it as safe so that your antivirus wouldn't detected it as bad.

Like Johnb35 said you should check in your programs folder for anything weird

amra

Ok, I checked, and I don't think there is anything weird there... I googled a couple of folder names that I didn't recognise to be sure. I'm not a computer buff though.

S.T.A.R.S.

banned
Ok, I checked, and I don't think there is anything weird there... I googled a couple of folder names that I didn't recognise to be sure. I'm not a computer buff though.

Free antivirus programs are a bad idea to try to detect this kind of stuff and in most cases they won't find anything.That is the reason why those antivirus programs ARE FREE lol.

Talking about the keyloggers,I am working on one pretty advanced one for about 8 months already and it should be finished this month hopefuly.
Some of you may already heard...it is called UAC keyboard spy version 1.0

The good news is that I also tested it with TONS of the antivirus programs including those which cost more than 3000 dollars and not a SINGLE one of them detected the UAC keyboard spy at ALL.Isn't that great? :D

It has few more nice options so that a person can spy someone from a completely different state using simple E-mails every 30 minutes lol.You can use desktop PC,laptop or even a sellphone for this purpose.

Also the UAC keyboard spy can be set ANYWHERE on the HDD with ANY folder name you provide so it is almost impossible to track it down when looking at all the folders on the HDD since the UAC folder and the UAC program itself can be called HOWEVER you want.

So it cannot be detected by any antivirus programs,it cannot be found manually (unless you DO KNOW the name,but of course you don't know that) and it also cannot be found in the PROCESSES tab in the Windows task manager.It is also completely hidden from the screen ALL the time: From the moment Windows OS is started to the point Windows OS is shut down...

The only way to shut it down is that you must know a long secret keyboard combination which you need to press in the correct order to show the UAC window and then shut it down from there manually.

And for just 16 dollars I think it's worth having it :p

That is the point of spying after all lol.Because if they can be detected by any antivirus programs then that keylogger software is crap lol.

I might post some screenshots later...

Cheers!

Last edited:

claptonman

Do a scan with Malwarebytes. My friend installed a keylogger on his and it basically rooted itself to everything. Malwarebytes found over 1000 infections. The thing with some keyloggers is that it hides itself as a normal-enough looking folder. It wouldn't say "brand-name keylogger" if its a keylogger that is for spying on someone.

Just read that you did do a scan with malwarebytes. You're good.

Last edited:

amra

Stars: That's... um... good for you? :p Let's hope word of your super keylogger never reaches my father.

claptonman, thank you! Good to hear... although now my Windows went and died on me (on Linux now... wondering if I might have a keylogger on this OS...), so I might have to reinstall Windows one way or the other, although I'd rather avoid it. But that puts my mind at ease anyway, a lot of stuff that I certainly would not want to share with everyone accumulated in three years and I feel better if I can have at least some certainty that it remained private.

S.T.A.R.S.

banned
Let's hope word of your super keylogger never reaches my father.

Hehehehehe:D
Well it is going to be on the internet and as you may know informations on the internet spread very fast hehehehehe:D

The best thing you can do to be 100% that nobody is tracking you is this:

-Put the BIOS USER PASSWORD
-Put the BIOS SUPERVISOR password
-Put the BIOS (master) HDD password
-Completely format your entire HDD with Active Kill Disk
-Install Windows on that formatted HDD
-After the Windows installation,also put the password on your USER ACCOUNT

On this way there is no way your father will be able to put anything on your computer.
Unless if he knows how to reset the BIOS and bypass the user account password.It's not hard to do that if you know how,but I am pretty sure your father doesn't know how to do that unless if he is a computer professional.If he is then hide your computer on some secret place lol.

Cheers!

amra

claptonman: great, thanks for the link. Now I have the new problem of keeping the dual boot despite a W7 reinstall though... I'd like to only reinstall it in its own partition and leave Linux (and my files that I'll pull over here from the Windows part so they don't get lost) untouched, but that seems a bit tricky. Hmm.

Stars: Well, believe it or not... my father IS a computer professional. I guess I am definitely screwed... :p

Last edited:

S.T.A.R.S.

banned
Stars: Well, believe it or not... my father IS a computer professional. I guess I am definitely screwed... :p

On your luck he is not the only one lol.Me and few more members here are also computer professionals so we will help you lol.For the beginning do exactly what I said in my previous post and you should be pretty much safe from being tracked down by your father.;)

amra

I've decided it's high time for an external HD to store all my stuff/do backups on, so I'll buy that this week and re-set up the whole laptop... I'll go back to the dual boot also, but this way I can be sure both OS are clean and it will be way easier. And I will definitely make sure I follow everything you suggested, Stars! I will let you know if I have any questions about it, but it might be a couple of days until then :)