Detecting sata drives with new motherboard?

lynx6200

I am replacing my Abit AV8 socket 939 board with an MSI K8T NEO2-F Socket 939. I have two sata drives that where running in raid 1 on the abit board, so I would like to continue doing so on the new board. I have connected both drives, but when I boot up, they don't seem to be recognized. I've also looked in bios and there doesnt seem to be a place where it displays sata information either, only ide.

I was hoping to boot to the drive/s which already have windows, and simply re-activate. Do I need to re-install windows to get the drives recognized?

Vipernitrox

i'm no expert on raid but i'm not sure if this ever will work.
drives in raid are very picky when you're changing mobo's.
there is a possibility you might lose all the data you have on those hd's.

johnb35

Administrator
Staff member
I am replacing my Abit AV8 socket 939 board with an MSI K8T NEO2-F Socket 939. I have two sata drives that where running in raid 1 on the abit board, so I would like to continue doing so on the new board. I have connected both drives, but when I boot up, they don't seem to be recognized. I've also looked in bios and there doesnt seem to be a place where it displays sata information either, only ide.

I was hoping to boot to the drive/s which already have windows, and simply re-activate. Do I need to re-install windows to get the drives recognized?

You will have to do a clean install, since the motherboard isn't the same as the old one. Check your bios settings for raid setup, configure for Raid 1. What you will need to do first though is back up any data to an external hard drive or another internal hard drive. When you set up raid with the new motherboard it will actually delete any existing information on the drives. To back up data just hook up one drive and back up data from it. Upon installing XP, you will need to press F6 to install the raid drivers for your raid controller. After the raid driver is installed, its just like installing to a single drive.

here is the page for the raid driver to download and put on floppy for f6 installation.

http://global.msi.com.tw/index.php?func=downloaddetail&type=driver&maincat_no=1&prod_no=208

Its the via vt8237 raid driver for floppy installation.

Last edited: