Determining how many dead pixels?

scoobz

I've got an Lenova ideapad Yoga 13 which is still under manufacturer warranty. I've noticed when working on either bright or white background you can clearly see 2 grey/black dots. One is bigger than the other. Does this mean I have 2 dead pixels? Lenova state 4 or more dead pixels is a warranty claim?

johnb35

Administrator
Staff member
Are they apart from each other? If so then you have 2 dead pixels. However, you can try rubbing the area gently to see if it will turn back on. Usually not though.

If one of the dots is more noticeable then i am pretty sure its more than 4 dead pixels, i recommend you take it to a lenovo store asap and let them fix it .

(i am pretty sure that if for example you had 1 big dot filling the screen, lenovo wouldn't count it as 1 pixel :D )

PS. I think you ment Lenovo Thinkpad not Lenova Ideapad ?

Jiniix

There are a few different types of dead pixels, which are under different warranties. At least at Samsung. We had a client who bought a 95" UHD TV. It had 6 bright-dot dead pixels, IIRC, and it wasn't able to go through RMA.

scoobz

I would of thought if both dots are visable to the naked eye then surely it has more than 2 dead pixels as a computer screen has around 2 million pixels?

I have spoke with Lenova and they say it needs to be 4 or more before they would consider a repair or replacement and that in time more dead pixels will appear but warranty runs out in November?

I described 2 light grey dots visable on both white and coloured background?

What do people think......? 2 pixels or more?

Cheers

spirit

Staff member
Assuming the resolution of your Lenovo is 1366x768 then your screen has 1,049,088 pixels - so yes it is maybe more than 2 pixels. How big exactly are the dots? Can you show us a picture?

If they won't replace it, you can usually find replacement screens easily on the internet and they are not very difficult to fit.