Device and Drives

Radesign58

Hi everyone,

I have 3 drives on my laptop MSI - Windows (C:), Data (D:) and DVD RW Drive (E:). All memory going to Windows (C:), while Data (D:) drive of 914 GB is almost empty. How can I make that memory using by D instead of C drive? Thanks.

Attachments

• 2017-04-22_081904.png
    2017-04-22_081904.png
    10.4 KB · Views: 3

Radesign58

Hi Geoff,
Appreciate on your effort but my Windows Drive is mostly occupied by Program Files, Program Files (86), Users, Windows... see attached and I cannot transfer them to D Drive. Always come as error. In Download folder I have only 2 Mb. So, my question is how can I have all this on D instead on Windows Drive. Also, why C Drive is Windows and why all files going there and not on D Drive?

Attachments

• 2017-05-15_193948.png
    2017-05-15_193948.png
    7.4 KB · Views: 3

beers

Staff member
why all files going there and not on D Drive?
Because you didn't change the default settings. When you install programs you can choose a drive. If you simply clicked next next next then they installed to your C drive.

You can use something like windirstat to see what files are specifically taking up the most space on your drive.

Radesign58

Obviously people did not understand my question. Let's make it simple: WHY EVERYTHING ON MY LAPTOP STORED ON MUCH SMALLER WINDOWS (C:) DRIVE WHO IS 117 GB AND NOT ON DATA (D:) DRIVE WHO IS 1 TB. HOW CAN I MAKE D: DRIVE DEFAULT INSTEAD OF C: DRIVE (WINDOWS)?

johnb35

Administrator
Staff member
Obviously we do understand your problem, but you aren't listening to us. However you have plenty of space left on c drive.

beers

Staff member
WHY EVERYTHING ON MY LAPTOP STORED ON MUCH SMALLER WINDOWS
Because things install to the OS drive by default unless you manually change them. The first reply to your post included a link to a tutorial on changing the location of these directories.

Personally I would rather have all of my applications on the SSD and then just use mechanical drives for bulk storage.

Geoff

VIP Member
Obviously people did not understand my question. Let's make it simple: WHY EVERYTHING ON MY LAPTOP STORED ON MUCH SMALLER WINDOWS (C:) DRIVE WHO IS 117 GB AND NOT ON DATA (D:) DRIVE WHO IS 1 TB. HOW CAN I MAKE D: DRIVE DEFAULT INSTEAD OF C: DRIVE (WINDOWS)?
The C drive is your Windows drive, so by default everything is stored there. It doesn't know what the D drive is, it's not going to assume anything, if you have two drives you need to manually tell Windows to use it as the default storage.

I really don't know why you want to move your programs off the C drive, as it's an SSD with MUCH faster speeds, if you move them to the D drive performance will drastically reduce. Follow the guide I showed above, this will allow you to move your user folders to the D drive, leaving C for applications and Windows. As Beers said, when you install programs it asks you where you want them to be installed. You clearly didn't read this when you installed them, as it says it's installing to the C drive.