device not recognized usb cable shortened power no data

ryan842

hello

i have recently decided to perform a modification to a nintendo wii console, and have ran into a couple of problems. i need to use some usb cables but the ones i have available are too long for what i need, so i decided ill just cut them down to length and rejoin the corresponding wires (red black green white) but upon doing so my usb hdd or any usb for that matter cannot connect to my computer. it comes up with the message a usb device has malfunctioned device not recognized.

ps i am fairly good at soldering and have performed such modifications before, also i am 100% sure the usb cable was working fine before i decided to cut it down. i can also hear the hdd spinning so i know the hdd is getting sufficient power.is there some special way of joining the 2 data wires

would greatly appreciate any input on why its not working.

thanks in advance

0x47

I lost you there , what exactly did you do ?
did you solder wires to wires or wires to circuit board or you just cut to size a USB extension cord ?

If it's an extension cord and you want to connect your HDD using it, you should know that not all USB extensions work for HDDs , I don't sure why but my HDD wont work with an extension from an old USB hub but my tablet works just fine with it.