DFI LPpro mobo comes up short...

mikelx21

I just recently finished building my first system with parts that I bought off of newegg.com...I had a DFI Lanparty Pro 875p chipset mobo with a NW p4 3ghz HT 800 fsb. One night I was benchmarking my system with 3dmark03 and it was doing rather well (scored above 9000). Then I decided to oc the cpu to 3.2, oc'ed my video card (pny 6800 non U/GT) @382/802, and disabled the HT to get a performance boost. The benchmark was doing even better than before, but all of a sudden, my computer shut off in the middle and out of nowhere. I tried to turn the computer back on but it wouldnt come on at all! So I waited a little while in the hopes that maybe it would boot up. NOTHING!..my mobo was getting power with the CC lights and fans coming on...but windows didnt boot =(. I took the fan and HS of of the processor and noticed that it didn't even get hot...

Does anyone know what could have possibly happened and how I can prevent it from happening again?

Praetor

Administrator
Staff member
I took the fan and HS of of the processor and noticed that it didn't even get hot...
Sounds like the socket got toasted. Intel chips are cooler but not THAT much cooler :p Of course it could equally be the CPU got so damn hot it fried itself out and not wont power up. (geez i sound like Mr. Doomsday)

Does anyone know what could have possibly happened and how I can prevent it from happening again?
To absolutely test my above suspicion you can use a different chip just to test but it sounds like maybe the socket IS fried (this would be the 1st ive every heard of that though). You should also consider resetting the CMOS if you havnt done that already.