dhcp issues on linksys wireless b router

P

proph3t

newb problem...i have bellsouth dsl, and my linksys router will not renew ip address lease. it is model number BEFW11S4. i have upgraded the firmware to the latest. the only way it will access the internet is through static ip, though im pretty sure dsl is PPPoE. anyway, when my isp renews ips, i lose all connectivity to the router. if anyone has heard about this issue please help.

Praetor

Administrator
Staff member
1. Never heard of that problem.

2. Try using a switch? When I was on Bell we could just use a hub/switch can split it fine...worth a shot cuz u might not need the NAT

3. Reset the router settings? :)

P

proph3t

i need the router because im using it as an access point for my home wifi network. i have to reset the router every time my ip is changed because i lose all connectivity to the router. the first one i had did the same thing, and i thought it was bad, so i exchanged it, since the first one had been opened and was missing the setup cd. maybe linksys made a bad run of routers and no one has realized yet...?

Praetor

Administrator
Staff member
Maybe although im doubtful it wouldnt have been noticed by now. Have you considered a router firmware update?

P

proph3t

already did...current version is now 1.50.something, which is the latest version, dated may 17th of this year. anyway, from what i have heard on other forums, and from all the books i have, dhcp is not working right so i think im just going to take it back and get my money back....maybe ill get a dlink router.

Praetor

Administrator
Staff member
DLinks arent bad either, I'd check that the DCHIP is in fact enabled however. Just a question, is it the wireless part only that doesnt work? :)

P

proph3t

no, wireless works fine, that is until my ip gets changed, then i lose all connectivity.

Praetor

Administrator
Staff member
Hmmm... WOW ... that's strange ... ive heard of people losing the wireless component but for everything.... i dunno

Blind_Arrow

u should have memntioned there in it, either static/dynamic IP from the provider. u never get IP changed as if u r connected, and usually in DSL's dynamic IP's are somewhat considered as static as well, as one seldom/never disconnects, unlike me, shuts down my router everytime i sleep, but I have static IP ofcourse.

P

proph3t

ok this is a lil weird...as long as the connection is being used, dhcp works fine...i lose the web for a second, but then i get it right back as the router reconnects. well, if the connection is idle...like if all my comps r shut down, then when my ip changes, the router goes down.

Praetor

Administrator
Staff member
u should have memntioned there in it, either static/dynamic IP from the provider. u never get IP changed as if u r connected, and usually in DSL's dynamic IP's are somewhat considered as static as well
DSL is by far and large PPoE rather than static/dynamic and if Bellsouth is in any way related to the Bell Sympatico I know it should be PPoE :)