Dhcp leasing problem

Kloppstock

I have a problem with my Internet and computer
i loose my connection to internet for short intevalls after some random time online, all file-sharing and net browsing goes down at the same time..and then wakes to life again after a half minute

I have saved my router event logg, and i know exactley whath the problem is

..but i just don't know what is causing it
As you can see here my router seems to be periodically deleting the WAN IP address leaving me offline for 30 seconds to a minute before it leases a new IP

18:22:04 (since last boot) DHCC IP address 87.227.102.174 deleted: ok

18:22:35 (since last boot) DHCC IP address 87.227.102.174 (255.255.255.0) set on intf Internet: ok

I allso cauth this smooth criminal in Wireshark, looks like this, ICMP Protocol all of a sudden

the problem is..that im not bright enough to understand how to use sniffer
softwares in deep and accually understand how to track after additional info ore sett up optimal settings

I have confronted my ISP about the overall problematic, thei say thath thei can't see any problems on their side and have no heard complaints of anything similar.
and heres a wery important thing to know!

This ISP i have currentley..i have only hade them 1 month now.
AND with my previous ISP this problem has looked exactley the same as now..for 1 year now (and i switched ISP just to get ridd of this i thauth)
and...i got this computer...yes...1 year ago:mad:
so i think you know what i mean

with my old computer this was not a problem, and i didnt even have a router back then..just a standard modem with a dynamic IP
now i have a router with a permanet IP (if i understand it right)

and there is absolutley no change anyway..so i can altaeast after alot of research exclude all forms of possible differences in IP adresses ore ISP relatad problems, router settings

so what is left then?
this computer...everyone stand and point at it
something unknown makes my specific computer to force "DHCC leasing"
some form of stealth settings perhaps? some form of conflicting software?
(no spyware!)

I have a speedtouch 780 WL router (and thei say i dont need to update this Firmware)
I have Windows XP Home Edition SP2 (with thath connection limit optimizer patch installed)

Motherboard - ASUS P5WD2-Premium (Updated)

Intel Chipset 955x Express Chipset (Updated to latest IU)
Memory controller:82955X

Intel P4 3400 MHz 2 Gb Ram

Hijack This Logg ("invalid file"...i cant attach and post it??)

If anyone here is familiar with my computer modell, specifications ore if you understand how to track any Network Sniffer loggs in deep, i ask you to please help me in any way

Regards/Kloppstock

Last edited:

tlarkin

VIP Member
okay, well for one I don't read German, but it is close enough to english I can kind of gather what is going on here.

In your modem control panel it seems that the DHCP assigned IP has expired, which is standard behavior of DHCP. Each IP is leased with a time stamp so to speak, and when that time stamp is up it is renewed. Now, if you were to have lets say multiple DHCP servers handing out same sets of IPs with different lease times that could cause a problem, but I do not think that is the case.

From your packet sniffer it registers the hosts as all being 192.x.x.x IP adresses which are non routeable IPs. Meaning that if someone was on your network unauthorized it isn't through the internet, they are accessing your network locally, and I can only assume it is over your wireless?

what IP is your router leasing to your machine? Also, does your router have all the proper information? Like DNS, is it set to DHCP, or what? ISPs all configure their network and their clients differently, so there are numerous ways you should have it set up.

I would reboot the modem, run all firmware updates, make sure your filters are good (your ISP can do a line test), toss some sort of wireless encryption and smart passwords on your network and network equipment. See if the problem still persists.

Kloppstock

okay, well for one I don't read German, but it is close enough to english I can kind of gather what is going on here.

In your modem control panel it seems that the DHCP assigned IP has expired, which is standard behavior of DHCP. Each IP is leased with a time stamp so to speak, and when that time stamp is up it is renewed. Now, if you were to have lets say multiple DHCP servers handing out same sets of IPs with different lease times that could cause a problem, but I do not think that is the case.

From your packet sniffer it registers the hosts as all being 192.x.x.x IP adresses which are non routeable IPs. Meaning that if someone was on your network unauthorized it isn't through the internet, they are accessing your network locally, and I can only assume it is over your wireless?

what IP is your router leasing to your machine? Also, does your router have all the proper information? Like DNS, is it set to DHCP, or what? ISPs all configure their network and their clients differently, so there are numerous ways you should have it set up.

I would reboot the modem, run all firmware updates, make sure your filters are good (your ISP can do a line test), toss some sort of wireless encryption and smart passwords on your network and network equipment. See if the problem still persists.

thath not German!!! what a humiliation accusation man! its Swedish for good sake ;) http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Sweden :D

No i dont have wireless accualy :) the thing thath is accesing me..if there where a real person behind i alteast hope thath my "Uber Computer Defence"(TM) would have detected the hack..and all microsoft hotfixed?...is there perhaps a possibility allsso thath the one thath is accesing my local network is a inportant truset program i regulary use..but just have a version for example being bugy?

Do you mean you want the IP numbers? ore do you mean what form of IP i use? "static IP" ore thoose other alternatives?
seens im a tech idiot all i know is thath my ISP say they give their customer a permanet IP, but i was forced to create a static IP on this computer for it to be able to accept incoming connections from P2P, i dont know if this router have DNS..but its atleast sett to DHCP..i did thath with my computer throu phone with them..so i guess thath thei atleast want DHCP

however someone have resentley suggested thath i should consider changing to manually set that IP on the WAN interface for my router instead of using DHCP?
is that a good idea? and if so how exactley do i do it..

heres a pic over my router settings
http://img75.imageshack.us/img75/4828/windowundercursorlb3.jpg

I asked my ISP about updating my firmware..but thei said thei could not see any new drivers for my router..alteast not a swedish version lol..and thath the deafult version whas sufficient:confused:..but im at place now where i have nothing to loose, so sure i would still like to test install the UK version...if i just knowed how to do it??

My router and the UK downloadable update version
http://www.thomson-broadband.co.uk/codepages/content3.asp?c=7&ProductID=528

I have allrady asked ISP to check my line..and thei say thei cant see any errors..however who knows if thei can check every inch of the line..perhaps thath is quest for my phone company?

thaths a good idea to perhaps create password for network and network equipment...buy i dont have wireless..but perhaps its possible anyway? cause i guess thath could prevent my own un-wated programs to act throu the net?

Regards/Kloppstock

Last edited:

tlarkin

VIP Member
Okay, well if your ISP assigns you a static IP then it should be set for static in your WAN IP setting. If it is dynamically assigned then it should be set to DHCP. This is where you set it up for how your ISP has it configured.

Sorry for the German comment, its all Greek to me anyways, hahaha just kidding:D

Well your problem is very broad, so we will need to narrow it down. We need to start by determining if it is hardware or software. Reset your modem, reset your router by whatever means to reset them. Sometimes they have a button you hold for like 5 seconds to reset them. Then apply whatever settings you need that your ISP provides, this will differ from ISP to ISP. Next, tell your ISP to just send you a new modem. They should do it. Now, it may not be networking hardware, it could be your NIC, update the drivers for that. It could also be your Operating System. Suppose something in the networking part of your OS is corrupted. Reloading the OS may fix it.

Kloppstock

Okay, well if your ISP assigns you a static IP then it should be set for static in your WAN IP setting. If it is dynamically assigned then it should be set to DHCP. This is where you set it up for how your ISP has it configured.

Sorry for the German comment, its all Greek to me anyways, hahaha just kidding:D

Well your problem is very broad, so we will need to narrow it down. We need to start by determining if it is hardware or software. Reset your modem, reset your router by whatever means to reset them. Sometimes they have a button you hold for like 5 seconds to reset them. Then apply whatever settings you need that your ISP provides, this will differ from ISP to ISP. Next, tell your ISP to just send you a new modem. They should do it. Now, it may not be networking hardware, it could be your NIC, update the drivers for that. It could also be your Operating System. Suppose something in the networking part of your OS is corrupted. Reloading the OS may fix it.

i have infact reseted my modem 1000 times with thath reset button allready :p The router have allso been reseted thath many times by now

I got this modem only 3 vecks ago :)...my ISP is not old..
on top of thath we allso have to count in the fact thath there was this same trouble affecting my old modem on this computer..and the old modem worked with my old computer allso
so im sorry to say..but i really dont think the chanses are hight thath this is a modem issue..
i could offcorse test my old modem instead..but it doesnt work with my new connection:confused:..i accually suspect thei locked my router modem i got from them to the IP on this computer? when we did thoose DHCP settings on my computer manually..cause my old is working i know thath

one other possibility would be to go back and test this new router on my old computer thath hade no problem..but then the problem is:D...i must buy a new hardrive for thath computer first to be able to start the shit and reinstall the OS :D so thath have to whait

What is a NIC? is thath firmware for the router?

yes im planning to restart my OS..i just cant decide when the time is right..if there is moore thing to test..like request my phone company to do a test on the phoneline..we have a house alarm attached to the phone-line accually..but this garbagebox have been disabled in 5 years now..its hard to believe that a alarm sett to "OFF"..would cause problem right? but who knows...
exept my phone-company..and their test tools? cause it feels a bit unsure to know wheter my ISP:s own line-test whas enough to determine wheter i have no disturbances on the line ore not?

Deepblue

NIC, Network Interface card.
I gather that this is a DSL connection, do you have a your modem on a dsl filter ?
have you tried to change it ?
do you have dsl filters on the othr phones in the house if so have tried to change them or at least unplug them to see if it helps ?
is your router built to the modem ?
is you modem set for Bridged eathernet ?
and you router set to to make the connection ?
you have one computer that this doent happen to ?

Last edited:

Kloppstock

NIC, Network Interface card.
I gather that this is a DSL connection, do you have a your modem on a dsl filter ?
have you tried to change it ?
do you have dsl filters on the othr phones in the house if so have tried to change them or at least unplug them to see if it helps ?
is your router built to the modem ?
is you modem set for Bridged eathernet ?
and you router set to to make the connection ?
you have one computer that this doent happen to ?

ok NIC the problem is there a no install instructions for this firmware..as i can see?
http://www.thomson-broadband.co.uk/codepages/content3.asp?c=7&ProductID=528

yes its DSL, yes i have a filter i got from ISP. i have tested with it, without it, with a normal tele-splitter, i have tested all combinations, now i have the splitter attached again
yes the router is build to the modem
i don't know if i have sett the modem to bridget eathernet ore not? i dont know what it is, and where to sett thath?, i know however i hade setted the computer as the manual i got from them..wich means nothing have changed seens i hade my previous none router..exept i have setted up a static IP
yes i have another computer where there where no problem if my memory serves me right..i would have tested this new connection on it to confirm it..if i hade a harddrive to it :p must buy a new..if so

Last edited:

Deepblue

you dont have to set the bridged athernet on a modem that has a built on router.

this could be any number of issues even your phone wiring in your house.
i would verify if other computer have this issue even if someone you know brings a laptop over to see if they have the issue.

tlarkin

VIP Member
you dont have to set the bridged athernet on a modem that has a built on router.

this could be any number of issues even your phone wiring in your house.
i would verify if other computer have this issue even if someone you know brings a laptop over to see if they have the issue.

I concur, you need to start eliminating things as possible problems. If your neighbor or friend has a laptop they can bring over hook it up. Then see if they have the same problem, if they don't you can more safely assume it is your computer. If they do, then you can better assume it is the equipment your ISP gave you, or a problem with your line.

subtle

Run ipconfig/all from command prompt
(Start > Run > type: cmd > in command prompt window type: ipconfig/all).
Take screen shot and post it on forum.
Take screen shot of your tcp/ip settings as well (and post it :) )
(Control panel > Network connections > right click connection > properties > click Internet protocol (TCP/IP) > click Properties).
Maybe that'll help us to identify the problem...
I had something similar and changes to this settings helped in my case...

Kloppstock

Run ipconfig/all from command prompt
(Start > Run > type: cmd > in command prompt window type: ipconfig/all).
Take screen shot and post it on forum.
Take screen shot of your tcp/ip settings as well (and post it :) )
(Control panel > Network connections > right click connection > properties > click Internet protocol (TCP/IP) > click Properties).
Maybe that'll help us to identify the problem...
I had something similar and changes to this settings helped in my case...

one sec :)

Deepblue

in the first 2 picks of the ipconfig

your DNS server should not be on the same subnet as the computer is on
so it should not be 192.168.xx.xx

in your router setup goto the status page and see if it shows you as connected,

post a pic of this page

Kloppstock

in the first 2 picks of the ipconfig

your DNS server should not be on the same subnet as the computer is on
so it should not be 192.168.xx.xx

in your router setup goto the status page and see if it shows you as connected,
post a pic of this page

perpahs its either one of this you mean?

Kloppstock

Your DNS is fine (it points to the router). All Your settings are fine (almost).
Go to TCP/IP settings (last screen - in this post: http://www.computerforum.com/83987-dhcp-leasing-problem.html#post658216) and set:
Använd följande IP-adress:
IP-adress: 192.168.1.64
Nätmask: 255.255.255.0
Standard-gateway: 192.168.1.254

Använd följande DNS-serveradresser:
Önskad DNS-server: 192.168.1.254

Hit OK. It should help.
:)

Yes this settings..i guess what i do here is creating a static IP with thoose lines right?
i used thoose settings in the beggining..the advice i got whas to do this before portforwrading..then i noticed thath P2P worked even when settings there are sett to Auto IP..portforwarding whas enough..so i left it blank some weeks ago to test without
when i hade it sett before..i remember i did not help against the leasing problem unfortentley..unless the the numbers you provided this time arent the ones from cmd.exe..cause i used them too..unless i didnt add them in wrong order:D...you never know with me!

we just have to whait and see:p

Last edited:

Deepblue

i have never seen one set to the router, a home router can not resolve a FQDN

i think the only way that would works is if you are using Proxy setting in your router.

Kloppstock

The DNS server should not be your router is should be the DNS server of your
service provider.

we test both alternatives..im starting by copying Subtle:s lines directley

if it doesnt help..then you can tell me where i shall change and to what..and ill do it (dont forgett that im retarded when it comes to this..and doing things self :D :p )