Dial-Up through PABX system.

MarkSkits

I'm trying to get my old computer connected to the internet, as it only has a modem, and I bought a PABX system to share my connection by dialing an incoming server (Windows XP Laptop) through the PABX system.

Unfortunately, whenever I connect, it is unable to load a page. However if I do go into HyperTerminal, it works fine between the two computers. Do I need a special program to share the connection or is it the PABX system/Laptop System?

Agent Smith

I'm not entirely sure. But I do wonder if you're missing a protocol that needs to be enabled. Just a hap hazard guess.

I once had a very old HP notebook. This thing had no CD drive, USB, etc. It did however have a PMCIA slot that I used with my ethernet/modem card. Now the ethernet portion didn't work because I needed a driver, but Win 98se did load a generic modem driver. So with that I found a free 10 hours per month dial-up service where I got an Internet connection. Then I was able to go to a link I created in my Comcast FTP account and download the NIC drivers. Was really interesting since I made the dial-up connection through my Comcast voice modem. It was like Internet over Internet. HAHA

What software or name is this PABX system? Your XP system is the one hosting the Internet connection? I wonder if you need a crossover ethernet cable and I wonder if ICS is on. You might need to share the two NICs.

That's all I got from what I could gather from your post. I've never messed with a PABX and always wanted to create my own SIP trunk for VOIP.

beers

Staff member
You'd be a lot better off using a standard ethernet/wifi router and just getting a NIC for the old PC. Still plenty of classic PCI non-express cards out there for wired and wireless. Worst case you can add a USB adapter if your PC is at least pentium 2 class. There are ethernet cards available for ISA as well, depends how old of a system we're talking.

Ethernet will be much less of a hassle, much faster and much cheaper than trying to rig a LAN dial up system.