Did i fry my motherboard? :/

Jester1989123

Did i fry my motherboard?
I was setting up a computer i bought that has an xeon 5650 processor in a x58 Pro with HyperX 12GB (6 x 2GB) 240-Pin DDR3 SDRAM DDR3. I hooked it all up to my spare psu i had laying around which is 450watts. I also bought a ssd. So what happened was i started it up and everything was working good i was booting windows from a usb stick and was going to install it on my ssd but it couldnt recognize it so i shut down the computer cause it was late and was going to get back to it the next day.
The next day when i booted it up it wouldnt show any display at all. So i checked all my connections and everything was good. I tried 2 different video cards same problem.... than i noticed i only had 4 pin connector powering the mobo instead of the 8 pins i should have had. So i plugged them in and same thing no video. .... what could i have wrecked.

I was going to attach more pictures but the file size is too large. On the one picture where you see the JPWR2 i only had power in the 4 bottom pins not all 8 of them.

What i have tried
- multiple video cards
- using diffferent pci -e ports
- pulling the cmos battery
-checking connections
-vga and hdmi

If you guys have any ideas some input would be greatly appreciated.

Attachments

• 2018-04-24.png
    2018-04-24.png
    290.7 KB · Views: 12

_Glitch

Did you insert 2 separate 4pin connectors?
I am not sure if that's how it works. I'll recommend hocking it up to a single 8pin.

Last edited:

Agent Smith

When you cleared CMOS, did you disconnect power and press and hold the power button for at least 7 seconds? Are you sure CMOS is cleared?

I can't think of anything other than what you suspect.

johnb35

Administrator
Staff member
It should start fine on only 4 pin cpu connector as having 8 pins is for overclockability usually. My guess is you really haven't reset cmos, as just removing battery doesn't work. Unplug power from power supply, remove battery, press and hold power button on case for 10 seconds then wait 10 minutes. Then reinsert battery and reconnect power and try booting up. Another possibility is that if you were working inside the case, you have maybe had a static discharge and ruined a component.

Jester1989123

It should start fine on only 4 pin cpu connector as having 8 pins is for overclockability usually. My guess is you really haven't reset cmos, as just removing battery doesn't work. Unplug power from power supply, remove battery, press and hold power button on case for 10 seconds then wait 10 minutes. Then reinsert battery and reconnect power and try booting up. Another possibility is that if you were working inside the case, you have maybe had a static discharge and ruined a component.
Ok ill give this a go in a few hours. Ive been carefully grounding myself before i touch anything but of course my living room is all carpet(only good place for me right now) ....staticky

Jester1989123

Ok so i tried removing the battery and holding the power button for 10 seconds and waiting 10 minutes. Unfortunately it did not make a difference. Hopefully a static charge isnt the culprit.

Any other ideas?

johnb35

Administrator
Staff member
Do you have a system speaker attached to the motherboard to hear any bios beeps?

johnb35

Administrator
Staff member
No can't use headphones. Its actually a connection on the front panel connector. It the 4 red pins top right in the image. Yours may look a little different.

IMG_8482.jpg

Jester1989123

No can't use headphones. Its actually a connection on the front panel connector. It the 4 red pins top right in the image. Yours may look a little different.

IMG_8482.jpg
Does that mean ill need special connectors to plug it in? Ive got my normal black, green, orange, blue, black and purple connections that are just your typical jacks. I tried headphones just for the hell of it and nothing happened. If i buy normal computer speakers can i try this connections? I only got a big speaker system that wont work for this. Im also not using a computer case at this point so i dont have all those connections. I just have a mobo on stands on a table right now. Theres also JAUD1 connections on my mobo... im guessing i need to buy this speaker and plug it in to my Jaud1 connection.

Attachments

• s-l500.jpg
    s-l500.jpg
    13.4 KB · Views: 2