Did I load Windows wrong on the M.2? Please help

samtay32

Working with:

x99a-ii motherboard
Samsung 960 pro M.2 SSD
Windows 10 Pro 64 bit

disclaimer: First time building a PC

When I booted the PC it went straight into the BIOS. M.2 was set to priority and the BIOS also saw my HDD. Everything looked good. (AFTER THE FACT) I believe my mistake was not going into the boot menu and messing with the CSM and Secure Boot settings.

I hastily restarted and booted my PC for the first time after checking the BIOS, installed WIN 10 PRO through a USB stick.
Selected my M.2 SSD and partitioned it through the windows setup and continued with the install. ***(Initially, when I had the HDD installed as well it only saw my HDD or combined the two so I couldn't tell where the OS was being directed to, therefore I unplugged the HDD and restarted with the install)

Pc rebooted after install and everything looked fine, went straight into windows. I powered off, connected my HDD back and powered back on. This time it booted right into BIOS and only seeing the HDD. So I powered off, unplugged the HDD and powered back on, it booted right up into windows.

If I go and restart windows, the PC power cycles like it should on a restart but boots into BIOS. If I power off the PC then it back on it will boot right up into windows aka recognized the M.2. (And if I power off then back on and open BIOS it will see the M.2. but even if it does, if i were to hit F10 to save and exit BIOS, it closes BIOS, restarts and opens BIOS and doesn't see the M.2)

BIOS SPECS are set to the following:
*Under boot>csm>launch csm is enabled
*Under boot>secure boot>os type is set to Windows UEFI mode

I went on Youtube and saw people going into the BIOS before installing Windows and going into the boot section, selecting csm, and changed the launch csm to disable. Then backing up they go to secure boot, changing the os type to other os, then they select key management and clear secure boot keys

they save those settings boot back up with the USB installed, install windows onto the M.2. and when the install reboots they go back into the BIOS before the install is fully finished and they change the settings under the boot tab again.

Under the boot tab, they go back and select secure boot and change the os type to Windows UEFI mode then they select key management and select install default secure boot keys, hit F10 to save and allow windows to finish.

Provided the video link below

http://

If this is the correct process, my real questionS here are, do I need to erase windows off the M.2 and reinstall the way the video shows or is there a way to remedy this from the BIOS?

If I need to wipe the M.2 how do I erase Windows off of my M.2 (the only storage I have hooked up at the moment) and restart this process from the start like it's my first time booting to the BIOS?

SIDE NOTE

As far as the M.2 and HDD is concerned I'm aware that some SATA ports will be disabled and ill need to find an SATA port the HDD can be plugged into that will not interfere with the M.2. lane.

Also, my Sata Controllers 1 and 2 (mode selection) is set to AHCI

I also did a BIOS flash update (successful) even before installing WIN 10.

Agent Smith

I'm wondering if perhaps the partition was created as a GPT. And to formant the M.2 you should be able to just boot the USB again and direct Windows installer to format the M.2.

Deadpool

I must admit I didn't read your entire post (I mean look at that thing :p), but it's usually recommended to install your OS only with your SSD installed.