Did the person lie to me? I5 6600 stock cooler thermal paste

Discussion in 'CPUs and Overclocking' started by lowki, Nov 21, 2016.

1. lowki

lowki Member

IMG_2923.JPG IMG_2921.JPG I bought an i5 6600 listed as new the guy said thermal paste is already on there isn't it suppose to look like goo?

2. Laquer Head

Laquer Head Well-Known Member

Did he provide a microscope?

Seriously, go grab a tube of AS5 for like 5 bucks, that thing is bone dry and the seller is either an idiot or more likely a bold-faced liar.

beers likes this.
  3. Cromewell

Cromewell Administrator Staff Member

Yeah looks like it was cleaned off. It would normally look something like this (though smeared if the sink was installed):

[​IMG]

Laquer Head likes this.
  4. Okedokey

Okedokey Well-Known Member

I would clean it off anyway and replace it with quality TIM. The question of it being new however is a different issue.

spirit, Laquer Head and voyagerfan99 like this.
  5. lowki

lowki Member

6. Laquer Head

It says its for socket 1156, your cpu is 1151.. but truthfully I didn't even know Asus made stock coolers like that.

Try and use it, with paste applied, but you may end up wanting a better aftermarket heat sink/fan combo if any of the pins are screwed up for example

7. beers

beers Moderator Staff Member

I believe LGA 115x all use the same pinout, so it should be usable.

Intel_man and Laquer Head like this.
  8. Laquer Head

They do, apparently I glazed over that in my ramblings.

9. mistersprinkles

mistersprinkles Active Member

1156/55/50/51 all have the same size socket and same spacing for heatsink mounting. Any socket 115X heatsink will work on any socket 115X mobo (*though obviously with certain mobos and configs you can have conflicts with huge heatsinks and RAM, etc.)

Can you provide a photo of the packaging this CPU came in? Was it BNIB with a seal on it and everything?

It's possible that this CPU was sold as a "tray" CPU with no box but that heatsink really rubs me the wrong way having no TIM on it...

AMD_man likes this.