Did the person lie to me? I5 6600 stock cooler thermal paste

lowki

IMG_2923.JPG IMG_2921.JPG I bought an i5 6600 listed as new the guy said thermal paste is already on there isn't it suppose to look like goo?

Laquer Head

Did he provide a microscope?

Seriously, go grab a tube of AS5 for like 5 bucks, that thing is bone dry and the seller is either an idiot or more likely a bold-faced liar.

Cromewell

Administrator
Staff member
Yeah looks like it was cleaned off. It would normally look something like this (though smeared if the sink was installed):

maxresdefault.jpg

Laquer Head

It says its for socket 1156, your cpu is 1151.. but truthfully I didn't even know Asus made stock coolers like that.

Try and use it, with paste applied, but you may end up wanting a better aftermarket heat sink/fan combo if any of the pins are screwed up for example

mistersprinkles

1156/55/50/51 all have the same size socket and same spacing for heatsink mounting. Any socket 115X heatsink will work on any socket 115X mobo (*though obviously with certain mobos and configs you can have conflicts with huge heatsinks and RAM, etc.)

Can you provide a photo of the packaging this CPU came in? Was it BNIB with a seal on it and everything?

It's possible that this CPU was sold as a "tray" CPU with no box but that heatsink really rubs me the wrong way having no TIM on it...