difference between Pentium D and Core 2 Duo

memory

I would like to know what the difference between these two processors are. They both have two cores, correct? Is it just the speed of the processor? This has been bugging me for some time now. Hopefully someone can shed some light on this subject.

Darkserge

I am not an expert and I was told Core 2 Duo is faster than Pentium D.

Core 2 Duo can go up to 1333MHz, Pentium D goes up to 800MHz.
Core 2 Duo is energy saver, it using 65W compare to Pentium D using 95W. Somesone complaining that Pentium D @ 3.73GHz running too hot. That is all I know..

Edit: Only Pentium D @ 3.73GHz can go up to 1066Mhz. but you wont find any cheaper than 478.80 for this.

Last edited:

Geoff

VIP Member
The Core 2 Duo's can have a higher bus speed of 1066 or 1333MHz, however the real difference comes down to the architecture. The Core 2 Duo's are completely redesigned, and are much more efficient then the Pentium D's, which is why a Core 2 Duo at 2.0GHz outperforms a Pentium D at 3.4GHz.

Bob Jeffery

Depends on which processor your talking about.Pentium d's are dual core. So its like this. A c2d(core 2 duo)at 3.0 is the same as a 3.0 d. There 3ghz in each core. So a total of 6ghz yay. The c2d are the "newer' and better dual core. D's were there first dual cores. The c2d have better power usage.

brian

VIP Member
Depends on which processor your talking about.Pentium d's are dual core. So its like this. A c2d(core 2 duo)at 3.0 is the same as a 3.0 d. There 3ghz in each core. So a total of 6ghz yay. The c2d are the "newer' and better dual core. D's were there first dual cores. The c2d have better power usage.

that is actually incorrect. contrery to popular belief, if you have 2 cores, you will not have twice the speed, think of it as two 1 person cars. both are going 3 mph so both together are still going 3 mph, however since you have 2 cars, you get twice the about of people through in one go. so it is not faster, it can just do two things at once

hermeslyre

VIP Member
that is actually incorrect. contrery to popular belief, if you have 2 cores, you will not have twice the speed, think of it as two 1 person cars. both are going 3 mph so both together are still going 3 mph, however since you have 2 cars, you get twice the about of people through in one go. so it is not faster, it can just do two things at once

And imagine that these cars are REALLY transformers, and when they meet the right person (software, multithreaded) They can transform into Optimus prime and go 6mph!!!!! But it depends on the person, if he isn't that special (bad multi-threading code) the autobot might only go 4 or 5 mph.

:D

Bob Jeffery

Yes true....with multi-thread software it will use both cores. But normally it will just use one until the other is needed....just like what hermeslyre...that was a great...metaphor..simile..or whatever that is

Geoff

VIP Member
Wrong, Brian explained it pretty well.

brian

VIP Member
[-0MEGA-];906630 said:
He probably copied it from me, I've always used the highway with multiple lanes explanation.

:)

oh really, lol i guess i liked it. i thought i thoughed it up on the spot :D

well then i guess credit goes to you :cool:

and i did not know if i was right. i just thought of it logicaly lol

hermeslyre

VIP Member
My ego is perfect, not too large, not too small. You're a doodyhead. That's right and you smell too.

I got your back brian baby. :cool:

brian

VIP Member
i love this thread :D. its fine. if [-0mega-] finds a post after i singed up then he wins. else i win :cool:

TrainTrackHack

VIP Member
Pentium D's are practically nothing but two Pentium 4's on a single package. They're NetBursts = They're underperforming powerhogs that only outperform bar heaters. However, they still lag behind more powerful Central Heating systems that...

And those D's aren't native dual cores - like core2quad which actually is two core2duos with additional control logic, D is two - did i laready mention this? - NetBursts in one package.

X2 and Core2 Duo are rivals, but not the same...not really sure about performance characteristics of either. X2s are cheaper, but - best to my knowledge - generally underperform similarly clocked c2ds in most applications.

If I'm wrong, gimme some real evidence to chew up!

curtains

Is this the same as with the X2 CPU's of AMD?

not sure what your talking bout ... when u mean same but hope the following answers ur question

Moral of the story

mhz doesn't mean too much between different architecture (but still means something)

Core2duo performace per mhz > AMD athlone performance per mhz > Pentium D Performance per mhz

so like a 1.8ghz core2duo will be as fast as a 3.2ghz pentium D if i remember and about a 2.4ghz x2 athlon i think ..

pretty much jst a better design