Differences Between A Modular And Non-Modular Power Supply

It has been some time since I built my last desktop.

Can someone please explain the differences between modular and non-modular, when it comes to power supply units (PSU's)?

_Kyle_

A non-modular PSU has all of it's cables fixed to the unit, which are not removable. Modular allows for each cable to be removed, getting rid of those uneeded cables. Semi-modular is the sweet spot, it is a mix of the two. The CPU power and MOBO power is not removable, but everything else is.

A non-modular PSU has all of it's cables fixed to the unit, which are not removable. Modular allows for each cable to be removed, getting rid of those uneeded cables. Semi-modular is the sweet spot, it is a mix of the two. The CPU power and MOBO power is not removable, but everything else is.
Sweet. Thanks. Definitely goin' with a modular, or semi-modular.

Okedokey

Modular have only one real downside, and that is slightly lower efficiency. Other than that, its like central locking on a car, replacing the battery never makes the convenience a bad deal

Modular have only one real downside, and that is slightly lower efficiency. Other than that, its like central locking on a car, replacing the battery never makes the convenience a bad deal
I began researching them more, after having started this thread. I didn't realize they have been available as long as they have. Heck, I thought this "modular" PSU business was all new. o_O :confused: