Differences between Windows and Linux

JustGeorge

Hello there :), I'm curious about the differences between those two operating systems. I know some things about the Linux operating system, but I've never tested it. Is it really free , open-source , faster than Windows ...?
Can you help me ?

Havoc

Yea ! most of them are Free, They make hundreds of different versions..Some can be faster than windows, and some will not. You will just have to pick one that suits your computers specks..

beers

Staff member
It'd probably do you well to either make a USB-bootable stick or install a version within a VM in order to test and become acclimated to the environment.

Ubuntu by default installs with a live-CD type of mode where you can use it without having to install on your system.
http://ubuntu.com

Noshowa

Here are some major differences:

Price
Linux – distributions are generally free
Windows - a Windows license can cost hundreds of dollars
Development model
Linux - users can access and alter the code in any way they wish
Windows - considered to be an closed source software
Hardware support
Linux - partial hardware support. There are many hardware devices that don’t have Linux drivers
Windows - almost every piece of hardware will work on a Windows installation
Software support
Linux - there are many programs that can be run on Linux
Windows - a large selection of software programs.
Command line
Linux – Linux shell is powerful and is used very often
Windows - Windows command promt exists, but it is not as nearly as powerful as the one in Linux
Ease of use
Linux - Linux will be used mostly by experienced users
Windows - Very easy to learn and use

Source: Differences - Linux and Windows

I think Ubuntu is a good choice for a beginner. You can download it here and try it out: Ubuntu download

DMGrier

VIP Member
Linux is free in terms of code but not cost, often the side effect of free code usually equals free of cost. Windows and most Linux distributions are similar in the sense they are there to provide a operating system which can be used by someone.

Some distributions like Ubuntu or Linux Mint are there to be easy to use and would have no higher of a learning curve then if you started to use OS X for the first time.

Is Linux faster? Usually when preforming a task Linux will be much faster however this is also very based on the application then the platform it is running on. In terms of desktop we could not really compare as Linux has several desktop options some designed to be very lite like xfce, lxde or lxqt. Other are just as heavy of a desktop as windows such as Unity, gnome or KDE.

Software support is a hard topic to answer, Windows has more familiar software but Linux has just as many good application but 98% are only open source and requires a google search to find.

Hardware support is really a user opinion, over the last six years of using Linux I rarely have hardware issue anymore and I often find installing easier as the driver is usually in the kernel which means working out of the box. Other proprietary drivers can be found and installed with the hardware driver utility found on most distributions, these methods make it easier as you usually do not have to go to vendor's for driver support.

Under the hood Linux and Windows are completely different. Windows can be more complex and depending on the breakage will require a repair disc or fresh install to fix. Linux can often be fixed with a text editor. There are often more guides walking you through a process on Linux then Windows as well.

So am I saying Windows sucks? Normally the answer is always yes however I have been playing on Windows 10 TP lately and see that MS must be watching what we do in open source as many things have been implemented to include Intel (possibly more vendors in future) driver support out of the box. I have been very impressed with the stability of Windows and applications running in Windows since 7 through 10 TP which means MS has learned from their mistakes of Vista, ME and 98 (prior 2nd edition).

What it boils down to is user preference, whether that is what interface you want to interact with, your need for a license that actually allows you to own the software (GPL or BSD license), Community interaction or just being a plain old fashion fan boy.

To make a note of the difference in shells, cmd is not a fair comparison to any shell in linux other then sh. cmd is to powershell as sh is to bash. Powershell will keep most Linux users happy and instead of building 6 to 8 different shells MS will probably continue to build on powershell.

As for me I have been a pretty solid linux user for about six years now and it will always be my preference, however I find myself jumping on the Windows 10 TP machine more often and I just got a job with an IT department for a company which is 100% a Microsoft shop and often find it easier to just use the Windows machine for work then my Linux box.

DMGrier

VIP Member
+1,
Wine is an excellent tool and something that makes Linux unique as I don't know of anything for Windows that allows you to deploy Linux application natively.

My only complaint with Wine for me is a lot of applications do not work out of the box with them and require some tweaking. For this I just spent the money on an application called "Crossover" made by code weavers and if the Windows Application is in the list of the application they guarantee it to install and work on Linux. If it doesn't then you can call them directly and they will assist in the installation.