Different Size RAM

tommy060289

hi, I currently have 256DDR RAM in my computer and I would like more. Can I
just put 512DDR RAM in and I will have 768MB RAM or do different sizes of RA
M not work together?

Tom

Ultravis

You will have to consult your mobo manual to find this out for sure. You may experience conflict if the manufacturers are different aswell. Also, the overall speed of memory will only match the lowest spec module in your computer.

tommy060289

so if i put a 512 and a 256 stick of ram in i would only get 256mn of ram but if put a 512 and another 512 i would get 1024 ram?

Ultravis

No. I was refering to the speed of the RAM. e.g. if you stick PC2100 in one slot and PC3200 in another, the overall speed will only be as fast as PC2100.

I would say most new mobo's accept 2 different sized modules of RAM, but check your manual. If you don't have one, you should be able to get one from the manufacturers website

hope that clears it up.

SFR

Truth fears no questions
...Make sure not to confuse size with speed and visa versa.

In your original post all you asked was about the sizes of RAM. It should not be a problem.

Ultravis added a few other things that might have confused you... but did explain them in more detail on the second go around :D ... With reguard to the speed of your RAM.. if you purchase RAM that is faster than the RAM you already have, it will run at the speed of the slower RAM.

Praetor

Administrator
Staff member
so if I put a 512 and a 256 stick of ram in I would only get 256mn of ram but if put a 512 and another 512 I would get 1024 ram?
512+256 = 768
512+512 =1024
:p