Digital camcorder?

cell4me

banned
I want to get into making home movies but dont know anything about it so I have a couple of questions? Does a digital camcorder record on a memory card like a digital camara and if so how long of a video can you get per Mb off memory card like if I had a 256mb card how long would my video be? And I have a brand new computer that shoud be able to work for what I want to do but I dont know a thing about digital camcorders. I have about $500 to spend on one, what would be a good one for that much money? What kind of features should I look for in one? I want one that will record super clear videos I have seen some realy fuzzy videos on the internet and I dont want my videos to look like that! Any help or suggestions would be appreciated!

Roy Rogers

Digital camcorders can use tape or a mini dvd. Tape lasts longer, about a hour of high quality recording, one and a half hours of slightly reduced quality. DVDs ar much shorter, roughly half an hour of full quality recording. DVD recorders require a small amount of time to "warm up" before using whereas tape is near instantly ready to use, but dvd is more convenient to edit, you simply put the DVD into a comuter and edit your films. I presently have a Sony DCR-HC40. It uses digital tape and produces excellent results. the unit is so small I can put it in my pocket. I'm waiting until a higher capacity DVD unit is available, which should be soon, and I'll then purchase one of those. I've had a lot of trouble with my sony and have had to send it back for servicing several times. I don't recomend this model.