Digital Camera & USB

sherice75

I've recently started to have a problem when connecting my digital camera to my computer with a USB cable. I am running winxp and when I attach the cable to the USB it shows that it found new hardware and retieves the files on the camera but in the 'My Computer' section it puts the camera as a hard disk on the G drive. When I double click to open it, I receive an error that the drive is inexcessible. Please help, how do I get my computer to recognize the unit as a camera and not a hard drive.

kobaj

VIP Member
G isn't a hard drive, A floppy, B floppy(the big kind, I think), C your hard drive, it goes on.(tell me I'm right) But G is like flash memory. Whats wrong, if it retreaves your files than whats wrong. But what you might try is when it says installing new hardware click close then reinstall your acual softwware that came with the cam.

sherice75

On my computer I have two hard drives (C & D) & two DVD Drives (E & F), what is happening when I connect the camera to the USB port it recognizes the device but labels it as a hard disk drive (G - following the sequence) in the my computer section. The problem is that obviously it is not a disk drive so when I go to open it, it then gives me the error that it is not accessible.

4W4K3

VIP Member
its cuz you have a CD-Drive named "E:". My digi-cam is labeled as drive E: when i connect it so you might be getting a conflict right there. Try a diferent letter for the CD-Drive and see if htat works...

Also if your digi-cam has a SD Card or some kind of storage device add-on make sure it is unlocked (like a floppy). That could be a problem as well.

kobaj

VIP Member
Oh ya, the letters arnt specific its the fact that what loads up first gets A (and its usualy the floppy)(please tell me I am right this time)... and so on. But the letter shouldnt matter, my diji cam loads up as 'I' and I dont have problems

robina_80

on my digital camera when i plug it in usb port the lcd display on the digital camera comes up with 3 choices pc link(to use on your computer) print and exit