Digital SLR For Dad

Respital

Okay so my dad works his butt off and my mom does nothing but complains but back on topic, he has probably the worst digital camera ever (Kodak Easyshare) i found a Nikon, way better then it.

So i was wondering what's the best bang for your buck DSLR, that someone like my dad would like, he's not a pro but he's not a novice either.

Thanks for your advice. :)

g4m3rof1337

I have the Olympus E-410, it was around $600 and came with two lenses.

It's my first DSLR camera, and it's suppose to be a great beginner and advanced user DSLR.

Irishwhistle

I'd recommend the Nikon D40... very inexpensive (for a DSLR), but a very good camera. A step up from that is the D60 which is also a very good camera.

Irishwhistle

Thanks. :)

Small bump....:)

Question: What is the most it can cost?

Oh yeah, don't forget to take lenses into consideration... they can get expensive, so if the most you can spend is $1000 and you want some decent glass, go get a Nikon D40 and a lens or two.

If all he wants/needs is one good lens the Nikon D80 is good as well as the new version, the D90.

massahwahl

VIP Member
Im a fan of Canons over Nikons, I love my XSI which was fairly inexpensive for a DSLR and I found it at Best buy during a sale where you got two lenses in the set.

The XT is a good standby too if your looking to spend a lot less for a damn good camera.

Irishwhistle

im looking at a cannon rebel.

Have you looked into Nikon? Because Canon was my first thought in DSLR hunting, but I've been converted to Nikon and I'm pretty sure that's what I'll be buying (unless I get some crazy deal on a Canon that I can't get on a Nikon.)

scooter

banned
Have you looked into Nikon? Because Canon was my first thought in DSLR hunting, but I've been converted to Nikon and I'm pretty sure that's what I'll be buying (unless I get some crazy deal on a Canon that I can't get on a Nikon.)

Canon glass is better!!

Nikon bodies are nice but Canon's glass is where it's at!!!

Irishwhistle

Canon glass is better!!

Nikon bodies are nice but Canon's glass is where it's at!!!

Some Canon glass is better than some Nikon glass, but other Nikon glass is better than other Nikon glass... and for someone like Respital who probably doesn't want to spend a ton on glass the entry level Nikon kit lenses are better than the entry level Canon kit lenses... at least that's how it was last I checked, maybe something has changed on the XSi. Also I prefer Nikon color over Canon's.

vroom_skies

VIP Member
Don't forget to check out Pentax and the whole other group of dslr's besides Canon and Nikon. Just because they are the top two selling brands doesn't mean they are the best by any means.

tremmor

Honestly the problem is money. Ive looked at some the Nikon's but with the attachments its very expensive. the rebel i think will be good without to much guilt. right now i have a Cannon s3is, zoom lens and a wide angle. it works good but will admit i was very impressed with the rebel.

scooter

banned
Honestly the problem is money. Ive looked at some the Nikon's but with the attachments its very expensive. the rebel i think will be good without to much guilt. right now i have a Cannon s3is, zoom lens and a wide angle. it works good but will admit i was very impressed with the rebel.

The s3is is a great cam...really good.... but you cant compare it, fairly, to a rebel or any SLR as the s3is is a totally different type of digital camera.

I'd look at a XSI--or you might even find a deal on a 40D body. Then just get the lens you want separately. You wont be forced with a kit lens'--which I agree, are ever that good.

MBGraphics

VIP Member
I have noticed that Nikons are generally better for portraits, and Canon is generally better for sports/fast pace action.

Nikon has really stepped up their game latly, but so has Canon. They are very close competitors right now, so there isnt really one thats better than the other, each side has it's pros and cons.

With that said, I would still take canon, but thats only because i have only played around with friend's Nikons, never owned one. But I own both a Rebel XTi and 40D and absolutly love both.

Irishwhistle

I have noticed that Nikons are generally better for portraits, and Canon is generally better for sports/fast pace action.

Nikon has really stepped up their game latly, but so has Canon. They are very close competitors right now, so there isnt really one thats better than the other, each side has it's pros and cons.

With that said, I would still take canon, but thats only because i have only played around with friend's Nikons, never owned one. But I own both a Rebel XTi and 40D and absolutly love both.

Well, older Nikons were bad for action, but they've improved a lot... really Nikon and Canon are as good as each other, it's just a matter of personal preference.

Respital

Okay so it sounds like the Nikon D60 or D90 are good ones to look into.
Also sounds like the Canon Rebel and XSI is good too.

Which one is better and comes with more lenses and better ones?
I probably need a telescopic lens as my dad likes to take close ups and such.

Thanks for the help everyone!