Digital SLR For Dad

Irishwhistle

Okay so it sounds like the Nikon D60 or D90 are good ones to look into.
Also sounds like the Canon Rebel and XSI is good too.

Which one is better and comes with more lenses and better ones?
I probably need a telescopic lens as my dad likes to take close ups and such.

Thanks for the help everyone!

They all come with the same amount of lenses (one) if you buy the kit. The D90 has the best lens, then the D60 and XSi are about the same. Macro lenses are gonna be expensive, and I'm not positive about how well the macro mode works on any of the cameras with the kit lens. Btw, a tele lens is different than a macro lens... a macro lens is for closeup stuff (bugs, flowers, etc) while a tele lens is for shooting stuff that is in a great distance. If you think he'll want to take landscapes you'd probably be better off with a good wide angle lens than a tele (if you can't afford both.)

Respital

They all come with the same amount of lenses (one) if you buy the kit. The D90 has the best lens, then the D60 and XSi are about the same. Macro lenses are gonna be expensive, and I'm not positive about how well the macro mode works on any of the cameras with the kit lens. Btw, a tele lens is different than a macro lens... a macro lens is for closeup stuff (bugs, flowers, etc) while a tele lens is for shooting stuff that is in a great distance. If you think he'll want to take landscapes you'd probably be better off with a good wide angle lens than a tele (if you can't afford both.)

How much would be D90 be with the macro tele and wide?

Irishwhistle

How much would be D90 be with the macro tele and wide?

Depends where you buy and what lenses you get, but it would be around $4000 if you bought medium quality Nikkor lenses... the higher quality ones will be more expensive. You may find it's better to just get the D90 kit, that lens should be good for a while.

Respital

Depends where you buy and what lenses you get, but it would be around $4000 if you bought medium quality Nikkor lenses... the higher quality ones will be more expensive. You may find it's better to just get the D90 kit, that lens should be good for a while.

Seems as though after talking with my mom all my dad would really need is a basic and a telephoto/telescopic. And i'm thinking about going with the D60, how's that to a bang for my buck?

Irishwhistle

Seems as though after talking with my mom all my dad would really need is a basic and a telephoto/telescopic. And i'm thinking about going with the D60, how's that to a bang for my buck?

The D60 is good, you probably should get the kit and then buy a telephoto lens, that way he can have a small lens that's not so bulky for carrying around.

Respital

The D60 is good, you probably should get the kit and then buy a telephoto lens, that way he can have a small lens that's not so bulky for carrying around.

Yeah that's exactly what i thought. I was going to get the D90 but didn't realize how expensive it would be. :p

Do you happen to know any good places to by from in Canada?

Thanks for all the help! :)

Irishwhistle

Yeah that's exactly what i thought. I was going to get the D90 but didn't realize how expensive it would be. :p

Do you happen to know any good places to by from in Canada?

Thanks for all the help! :)

Not positive (I'm in the US), but you could always buy from Amazon... ( http://www.amazon.ca/ is the Canada version)

EDIT: Just checked and it appears that they don't even carry it... :p

EDIT2: OK, I've checked around and it looks like depending on where you're located your best bet is probably gonna be a camera store...

Last edited: